14 Ally setup

Paul

I've got an older 14 Ally and some V-4 Jonrudes. I have a chance at a 115 with trim for a great price. What are the downfalls to putting a V-4 on a 13 or 14? Are they dangerous or inefficient?

aeneas

Jason Johnson on S&F runs a 14' Allison with a shortened to 15" and very tuned Yamaha 90 (3cyl) at about 80mph. Looks like a good setup. Perhaps the V4 is too heavy..?

Last edited:

Jimxb02

The weight of those V4's with trim is 306 pounds. If you then jack it up 5 to 7 inches on the transon to get an efficient running height ----- you have a center of gravity that could be a safety problem. If you have a good machine shop in your area you could try to cut the mid section to 15" or 14" to lower the center of gravity.

I'm not saying that a V4 on a 14' Allison won't work , but I am saying you have to understand the possible problems if you do it.

Jim

Paul

I also have a short shaft 80 Merc that would probably run ok. Just wanted a little more horse than that. The I6s that I have I didn't know if I wanted to use on it for that reason. (Too high) Evinrude and/or Johnson made a short shaft V-4. One was called the Sizzler if I remember right, but good luck finding one of those. I guess I should start with the 80 for now. Thanks both for the info.