1/8th Washers in the top of the head

Bobalouie

Quick question, What is running 1/8th washers in the thermostat housings doing as far as cooling goes? Mine is running 1/8th and I have read around about some running 3/16ths. I cant decide if 1/8th holds more heat in due to restriction, or lets more heat out due to water staying in the block longer. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I dont have a cooling problem, my head temp is usually around 175-180 deg after a long hard run, good h20 press, etc. I am just curious.

thanks

K.Kiser

This is just me thinking out loud, but if it were mine I might try some 1/4" holes for maybe a little bit cooler head temp...

suicidealli

i would be looking for other issues!!!!!!!!!!! water pump, obstructions!!!!!!!!!!!
i have ran 1/2 water tubes, and never get over 135. the pressure, and temps is high so there is a blockage somewhere..JMO

roy

Bobalouie

I am not having a problem, I was just wondering about would a 3/16th hole make it run cooler than a 1/8th hole.

Just FYI, my head temp (not water temp) reads 175 on my gauge (in the summer with 99-105 deg air temp and 85-92 deg water temp), water pressure is 10-12 psi (when up and running), there are no obstructions anywhere, etc. I am just curious on the effect of 1/8th vs 3/16 hole.

I have the powerhead off right now, and the adapter where the water comes in is clean as a whistle, all the water discharge hoses are off and are not obstructed. The temp my engine runs doesnt seem to be high to me, as by the time it takes me to pull the cowl after a hard run, the heads are not too hot to touch. I am just curious about the effect of the different hole sizes since some say that bigger orifices let water out of the block too fast to absorb the heat, and thus the engine will run hotter, but in my mind it seems that a smaller orifice would run hotter due to holding the water in the block too long.

Last edited:

Larry D

So a 175 deg head temp is too hot?
i've did a few and seen temp, around 120 to 130, but only that high with some kind of cooling system problem. but the ones i checked did not have a temp gauge. i was using my lab top to check everything. later Larry D

patches

If his heads are cool enough to touch then I doubt he's really seeing 175 degrees. The thing to do would be to shoot the heads with a temp gun after a run to get another reading besides your gauge

Bobalouie

Bob...is your exhaust plate dry-stacked?........Lots of water pressure?
Brack,

No, not dry stacked, and I wouldnt go so far as to say lots of water pressure, but normal. I am getting 0 psi at idle, and as the speeds come up, the press comes up too. Probably around 8 psi at 55-60 mph and around 10-12 psi at 70-75, and I am not sure faster than that because I am not brave enough to look.

That being said, my engine was set up with 3 pissers. There is no crossover on top of the heads, they both empty out the back of the cowl, along with the pressure relief hose. The gauge is also an aftermarket Nordskog reading off the stock merc sensor, which reads 175 or so after a hard run, so I dont know if that reads right at all. I am putting the crossover back on the top of the heads as part of my cowl change. I would think that would up my pressure 1-2 psi.

In the winter, just as general maintenance, I replaced the pump impeller, cup, base plate and all gaskets in the H20 pump assembly, and I pulled the water dump hoses off the engine because I am getting ready to put my new CF cowl on. I had to pull the powerhead to get the old cowl pan off and I checked the area where the water comes into the block just to make sure it was clean, and it was. Since I was messing around I pulled the tstat housings to see what size hole was in the washer and it mic'd out at .122" so around 1/8th. But I have heard of folks running 3/16ths and 1/4 in them and was wondering if I should do the same.

Was the water pump impeller a little tired? Maybe. I ran it for all last season, and I am not sure how many hours it had on it from when Bill ran it previously, but I would say probably not much. So I dont figure to pick up any press from the change. Last season I was also running on a 7" JP at 1/8" above the pad, and this season I will be on a 10" JP set up at even.

Since the first day I had the boat, the temp read 175 after a hard run, even in the spring with cooler temps, and it ran the same in the summer, with warm temps, so I figured I didnt have any cooling issues.

Now, my 280 is running 260 elecs (I dont know if that should make any difference), and if that means that I should be running in the 135 deg range, then I guess I need to get some larger holes in the washers. But I always figured that 175 deg head temp was probably around 135-145 water temp.

I apologize to everyone for coming off argumentative. My plan is to run it as is, and see what the new jackplate / prop shaft height do for pressure & cooling and go from there.

So I guess my question should be, what head temp should I see after a hard run? Its an easy enough change to get some more washers and drill them for 3/16 and 1/4 and see what I get for temps. I just need to know what the value should be.

K.Kiser

Again, I'd at least give the 1/4" washer a try to see and like you mentioned it's an easy experiment... I would think that no matter the condition of your impeller, 10+ lbs. of h20 pressure should yield plento of water flow and I'm sure all your water dumps our gushing water at running speeds... Do you have an egt gauge..?

Bobalouie

Again, I'd at least give the 1/4" washer a try to see and like you mentioned it's an easy experiment... I would think that no matter the condition of your impeller, 10+ lbs. of h20 pressure should yield plento of water flow and I'm sure all your water dumps our gushing water at running speeds... Do you have an egt gauge..?
Yes, I have an egt, and they are usually at 1170-1250 or so, after a hard run with the 26P on. If I do a hard run with the 22P drag prop on and spin it to 9000-9300 the highest I have seen when doing that is 1335. But my motor runs on the rich side, and I am reading the flame front temps, not the true exhaust temps. I also noticed that the egts are buried in the exhaust ports when I pulled the powerhead, they are reading near the front wall of the exhaust area, not in the middle of the exhaust stream, so again probably not getting the true exhaust temps. I have inspected the pistons as part of the winter maintenence, and the pistons and the plugs appear to be running rich, which is fine with me, since I may be giving up a little power, but at least I am not running lean.

I will get some washers drilled out to 1/4 and see what happens.

Last edited:

chad202

Get you two quarters and drill 1/4" holes in the middle of them. They fit perfect in the rubber gasket. Used this for years in my promax.

catfish123

Sorry to ask a stupid but is the small circular gizzo that sort of fits in a little bracket on the port side of the motor the thing that measures water temperature? I only ran my new to me 280 for a few hours last fall when the water temp was fairly cool and my gauge didn't really go up even after running a pretty long distance. I was under the impression that these motors stock, run on the cool side. Idling on a muff in my driveway, the heads remain cool and the water from the pee hole stays cold? I've got a lot to learn now I guess about this motor. I was told it has no thermostats and that is one of the reasons they run cool?

K.Kiser

Catfish, that little "gizzo" reads head temp but not to be confused with h20 temp... True water temp will be measured by a temp fitting that installs into the very top of the head and protrudes into the actually waterflow jacket which your engine probably doesn't have in stock form but is easily installed... Also, if your engine is stock with an unmodified cooling system then I would put t-stats back on the heads to let that engine warm up to correct temp alot faster for a healthier life ...

catfish123

I thought in stock form, the motor did not have t-stats? Is that incorrect?