03 Owners Help Please

Morespeed4me

Well today is the first day I have had the boat out and I have a few questions. I spent the day on Guntersville and did a lot of running, now mind you I did have two 13 year old boys with me So I did not push it really hard. I did have it say around 6000 RPMS just did not feel comfortable. Felt like the boat could go around easy running so low. I did 1 bat turn in my other boat and do not want to do it again. This boat does not seem to have the bow lift my old 03 did, matter of fact it ran flat almost seemed like it had stern lift. Now I am running a 28 QIV O/T Hydromotive prop. Just wondering if this combo seems to run flatter then say a 28 Allison cut chopper. Now for the boat it is an XB2003T just like my 1st Allison with a 20" 225PM set at about 3/8" below the pad the lip is still on the boat and it does not seem to have had any repairs to the pad or hull and they look in great shape. I also added the skid plainer which I don't think has anything to do with it. It is installed right on the money with the specs Allison sent with the skidplainer. Now this boat has the big 71 LBS motorguide TM and I mean it has a big motor and it also has all 3 batteries in the Port side compartment, my other boat had the 50 something OMC. I had no trouble keeping it on the pad. I also added hydraulic steering and that might have something to do with the uncomfortable feeling, not use to it. Also the holeshot is really bad, I know the previous owner said the holeshot was almost embarrassing. It wants to bog down at first then slips and you have to feather it to get on plane. Also one other problem my indash depth finder losses the bottom when running on the pad, now my other boat had the flasher but never lost bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Paul

Last edited:

whipper

I know my indash looses bottom at speed I push the buttom becuase i hate it when it beeps!. You shouldnt have to feather her? The Quad should hook up and go after a little spin. At least mine does. Shell spool only for a short time then grab and go. Check your hub and make sure its in good shape or try putting a differant hub in or differant prop. Choppers will run higher in the bow i find. I dont know what the feel is like with the skid planner but i love my hydrolic steering. You could take the 70lb,der off the bow and put 40 or 50 lbs of shot or something up there and see if she feels more what your used to with less weight up there. All Allisons should run flattish if your pad is stock with the spry no higher than cowl hight. What your discribing almost seems like its the heavy Troller that could make for a lot off it? You say she Bogs then spins? Thats backward isnt it? Thats all I got. Maybe if ya have a buddy 03 Allison owner near by get him drive her two heads are better than one.
You have a lot of differances it sounds like compared to your old one. Skid plainer,Steering,Heavier Bow. Thats gona feel alot differant I would think. Whats your set back? With more weight in the bow you may need more?

Last edited:

chad202

This boat may have more lip that your other one. Try lowing the motor and see if the handling and lift gets to your liking.

FLYING BUTCHER

I am probably the ONLY guy who has had this experience (here we go again) like it has been said many times "every boat is not the same" but in my 03 when I raced it, we had time slips 4 times in 1/4 mile. "MY EXPERIENCE" was using the Allison skid plate made NO DIFFERENCE in getting on plane any faster. I'm sure if you were not running any foils or skidplates it would help for sure. I was running both anfoil, skid plate on the bottom of jackplate and flotation in the jackplat cavity. Now for you guys that love it thats fine just giving my experience. The boat just didn't like it and it was put on exactly per written instructions. Back to your problem, It only takes a few minutes to remove it so my suggestion is first make sure you are measuring prop shaft right-set the height at 1/4" below and ahead of the pad lip. Then remove the skid plate and try her again. May not be the nswer but at least that would take that situtation out of the problem. good luck have fun be safe

Last edited:

pickwickangler

For whatever reason my red 03 will not pick the nose up like my old white one would. It does kinda feel unsafe at 93-94 when she really flattens out and you really need to hit the trim button one more time but don't wan't ta :help. Very well could be the lip.

GotMyAlly

I am probably the ONLY guy who has had this experience (here we go again) like it has been said many times "every boat is not the same" but in my 03 when I raced it, we had time slips 4 times in 1/4 mile. "MY EXPERIENCE" was using the Allison skid plate made NO DIFFERENCE in getting on plane any faster. Now for you guys that love it thats fine just giving my experience. The boat just didn't like it and it was put on exactly per written instructions. Back to your problem, It only takes a few minutes to remove it so my suggestion is first make sure you are measuring prop shaft right-set the height at 1/4" below and ahead of the pad lip. Then remove the skid plate and try her again. May not be the nswer but at least that would take that situtation out of the problem. good luck have fun be safe
Interesting. Whereas it may not make any difference with an unload boat, I wonder if you would have seen the same results while carrying a fishing load?

chad202

Andy, JMO, take your lip down slightly and she'll be safer and run better.

catfish123

I sometimes get mixed up with the different terminologies etc, but I'm assuming the "skid plainer" thing you refer to is the thing that attaches at the back, bottom of the boat. I have closed off the bottom of the jackplate. I have also added the Allison foil to the lower unit. On my boat, both with a 200 Promax and a 225X, the Allison foil made a HUGE difference in the ability of the boat to quickly plane off. It has no effect on topend or anything else.

Last edited:

chad202

1. Ally foil mounted on cavitation plate.
2. Skidplate mounted up against bottom of jackplate.
3. Skidplanner, designed by darris, mounted under jackplate, up against the back of the boat, but not touching it, right above the drain hole of the pad, shaped like a "W" or similar.

Morespeed4me

Thanks for the replies. Chad I did try to lower the motor, I ran it at many different heights, I thought that might be the problem but it did not help at all. I guess you guys are right I need to run solo and see how it runs there altho I normally fish with 2 adults in the boat, I would say about the same load as I had yesterday. Then remove the skid plainer and if still the same, remove the trolling motor to see if there is any improvements. It has 14-1/2" of setback.

Morespeed4me

Yes I was told it was ordered for a 03 from Todd, I will double check with the 1st owner of it to make sure. I did purchase the prop after purchasing the boat, it had a something that looks like an Allison cut chopper on it when I first picked it up, that prop just has Allison stamped on it. I would be willing to meet up with somebody next weekend, if I don't have to work. I live in the Manchester Tn area and would be willing to travel. I bought this boat because I loved the way my other boat felt, now this boat feels scary. Also I do have an Ally foil I purchased from an Allison owner, I did not put it on because I thought it would be better to just make a change at a time. Now it is the Allison foil, but it did not have the plastic washers with it when I received it. Do you think it would be alright to cut some thin hard rubber washer to use with it?

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

after reading that it runs flat at 93 mph I think it is the prop. Try another one. Just my 2 cents

chad202

I'm too far but am very interested in seeing what's going on. It still sounds like a setup issue or imperfect pad. Maybe even gearcase hunting up and down.

brotherxb03

I have a 98 xb03 with a 200-2.5 and it run's real flat too. Even my wife said something about it the first time she rode in it. I think it a combination of the pad lip and the wind pushing down on the console and windsheild.

GotMyAlly

Yes I was told it was ordered for a 03 from Todd, I will double check with the 1st owner of it to make sure. I did purchase the prop after purchasing the boat, it had a something that looks like an Allison cut chopper on it when I first picked it up, that prop just has Allison stamped on it. I would be willing to meet up with somebody next weekend, if I don't have to work. I live in the Manchester Tn area and would be willing to travel. I bought this boat because I loved the way my other boat felt, now this boat feels scary. Also I do have an Ally foil I purchased from an Allison owner, I did not put it on because I thought it would be better to just make a change at a time. Now it is the Allison foil, but it did not have the plastic washers with it when I received it. Do you think it would be alright to cut some thin hard rubber washer to use with it?
How far are you from Pickwick?

froggy

The skidplaner will FORCE you to run flatter-maybe to the point of being uncomfortable. It was designed for 1/4 mile racing and then adapted to lake running.

The Hydromotive prop lifts the entire boat, not just the bow-therefore you will run flatter.

The 2003's, newer than 1996 have a lip that's .090". The earlier 2003's had a .060" lip. In my opinion they should all have a .060" lip or smaller or they will run too flat if they run at all.

Most 2003's run best no lower than 1/4" below and no higher than 1/4" above unless you are very experienced at setup and then some of the fast ones run as high as 1.5" above (don't try this). Even your hole shot will improve if you get to the +/- .25" range.

froggy