01 225 promax tachometer probs

allisonjr

I've been having troubles with my tach lately. At first off the trailer it works fine first couple mile after running its fine then after starting the engine back up the tach reads 0 at idle. It's driving me nuts, it will starting reading if you press down the hot foot but let it idle and straight back to zero or a hundred. The motor runs fine but this tach is driving me crazy. I've replaced the old medallion tach with a new Beede and same results. The tach is on position 4. I have no idea where the tach gets its signal so I don't know where to chase the wire. Any help is appreciated

Myron

try putting the tach wire on the the other voltage regulator. If that fixes it the tach signal in the regulator is bad

allisonjr

I found a bare spot on the grey wire coming out if the rt voltage regulator where the wire was rubbing on the bottom of the bracket

jcoats3

Regulatory stared going out on mine last year. Would get all kind crazy readings swapped to other regulator and held steady. CDI has the ohm reading for all the wires on web site if you got a volt ohm meter that reads megohms

whipper

Yep mine did the same. Just try swapping the bullitts around off your regulators on the top back of the motor behind the flywheel. That will work if its a regulator. Also a week battery makes all kinds of funky things happen if that doesn't work.

allisonjr

I really appreciate the help guys, I repaired the damaged wire on the voltage regulator and was going to test it out again tonight when I looked down in my garage and noticed bluish fluid in the floor. My prop shaft seal is now leaking.

allisonjr

really, im thinking about changing to working on mercury's instead of cars. I swear im in training to be a certified tech lol

allimax

I looked down in my garage and noticed bluish fluid in the floor. My prop shaft seal is now leaking.
Make sure the fill screw above the prop shaft (if it's a sporty) has the gasket on it or didn't come loose. When I first brought mine home I thought it was big problems but the gasket was missing. I got real lucky, hope maybe you will too.