00 225 Pro Max Overheating

allisonjr

Last night i ran down the lake about 3-4 miles. I always keep an eye on water pressure and it stayed at about 13-14 psi. The engine overheating horn came on and stayed on. I shut the motor down immediately and let it cool back down. Has anyone experianced this before? If so any suggestions are appreciated.

whipper

Yep. I disabled the horn because its anowing.:big grin Probably picked up some shat in the inlet. Just take your T-stats out at the top of each head and run some water threw everything to make sure theres no obsructions any more. How was it after you let her cool down? If it was still heating up you might have a split in your gasket for the impeller or need a new impeller?

Best to do a total re and re on the cooling for piece of mind. New impeller kit,new T-stats. That way for 20 or 30 bucks and an hour of YOUR labor you shouldnt have any more issues. If you do its somthing else but 99.9% of the time its a stuck T-stat,impeller or shat in the hose somewere. Over heating is about the least worry youll have and ussually the simplest fix there is. Try this before anything else and take her for a spin staying close to the ramp just incase.

allisonjr

after i let her cool, she still wanted to warm up quick. so i just called my dad and he towed me back to the ramp, i didnt want to risk any damage. thanks for your help

whipper

after i let her cool, she still wanted to warm up quick. so i just called my dad and he towed me back to the ramp, i didnt want to risk any damage. thanks for your help
T-stat stuck or debree picked up in the line. Imellers dont usually just go like that. They over a short time start showing warmer and warmer untill you just have trouble keeping her cool enough. Debree and T-stats will stop ya in your tracks.

allisonjr

well yesterday i purchased two new mercury t-stats and gaskets. I flushed the heads, and tomorrow im going to install a new water pump with seals.

SLOmofo

Check out the gaskets for blowing out. Mine had been just gone through and I asked them to glue the gaskets to the plate. Well they did glue one but the other blew out. Also under the oil seal carrier is another gasket to glue. It had maybe 1 hour run time on it. They get blown out by the water ramming into the intake at high speed.

whipper

well yesterday i purchased two new mercury t-stats and gaskets. I flushed the heads, and tomorrow im going to install a new water pump with seals.
Good idea. This should resolve any issues from your cooling stand point. While your at it you may as well change the {gearlube.} Just buy two quarts just incase. If you dont have the little merc hand pump there about 10 bucks but will last you for years. Open the bottom hole first have a bucket ready. When you unscrew the top hole the oil will flow. Air tight. Its nice to use a very clean bucket!! That way you can see whats comming out after. Inspect the oil that came out for fillings or water. {milky look}. As these are other things that would cause over heating if the gears are messes up. Dont worry it was most lickely just the Stats or Impeller. Most common by far.

When you add gearlube put in on bottom hole with top hole open. Fill untill you see just a sip comming from the top hole. Put the top scrw back in with the {filler still in!!} As you pull the bottom filler tube out let a little drain out!!! That way your a 1/8 or 1/16th from full. Its been known that having the gearcase right full can blow seals because when the lube expands theres no were for it to go. That should do it.

On first water test let the temps get to 100 at idle before you start to step on her. Bring up to speed then cruise like you did before. Avoid shallow water were your pump can pick up crap!! if all is good all is good.

When you take your gearcase off be ready!! After the last bolt it will drop! :gasp Its heavey and awkward. Tie a rope around mine just incase!!! Make sure your in N {some say ingear}? I like N so I can spin the shaft going back in if i have to to line up the drive shaft. If a little white tube drops out thats your water inlet for your cooling. Just make sure thats lined back up going back on. Use dishwashing liquide to take off and on the rubber seal on the shaft to take off the water pump housing. Works great because its a tight seal youll see. DONT OVER TIGHTEN the screws on your pump houseing!!! Just good and snug tight. Its just plastic!! Inspect the gaskets around the water pump. Ive had a couple times were there was a small slice right on the edge of one. Thats all it takes. You can use the dish washing soap trick for impeller twisting in also. It sounds like alot and the first time takes 45 min or so. But after that takes about 15-20 min max to take off the gearcase and put back on.
If ya really want to go nuts change your plugs also.:banghead Because you over heated you might have one thats a little fried?? Its all good stuff to doonece or twice a year dapending on how often you boat. They accually charge people alot to do this at the stealerships. If ya got a 2.5 its cost effective and you know you did it right on your baby!!

allisonjr

Thanks for all of the help!! I will let everyone know what she does when i take her to the water for testing. Its nice to have an online community that is helpful and friendly

whipper

Yep we all try and pay it forward to save money and lives.:big grin Gary, Slomo has helped me extensively over the years as well as a lot of others. Todd,Jeff,Gary,Neil, Brian,Bill, the two Jays,The artist formerly known as.:big grin Lots and Lots more. I agree with you whole heartedly, its one of the reasons I actually bought an Allison. Because there is such a great suport network!!

NEVER be afraid to ask a Q because there is so much to learn for most of us. I have to do the same thing as you next week before I go on Vacation. I just want to do preventative maintenance to hopefully not have to do it at the resort!! Once ya do it one time the rest you'll realize is simple stuff. It was good to refresh my memory on how to do it also.

SLOmofo

There is no stupid question, except the one that isn't asked.

Well except for Whipper's! :wink :LMAO: :twisted evil

James, when are you going to drag that junk barge of yours down to the WAR. Love to get a chance to pick on you in person! ! ! ! ! ! :beer:

whipper

Haha as soon as she not worth insuring. They wont let me take her past Oregon? Or I would have a few years back. When i get my 260 on her or a 300xs shorty Ill have to come down to get Bills aproval for the setup on a 300.:big grin I know i want to get down there so bad!!! Ive never boated with other Allisons and that would be so awsome to meet ya all. I have a passport now and my wifes a Manager with AirCanada so I could always just fly down and hitch a ride with one of you.

allisonjr

well guys shes finally fixed..... not an impeller, not a seal, not a t-stat, it was the copper tube that connects the power head to the gearcase. the tube cracked in half from vibration or stress. i have never hit anything in the water so thats the only thing i can figure happened to the tube. a friend of mine thats a mercury tech was here doing the work and said he had never seen one of those tubes break.

whipper

Good deal. At least ya know every things good for the rest of the season now with everything else. Next Spring if ya do all those replacements again its a good idea as part as an annual preventative maintenance.