Prop for New XB-21 Pro Sport

Tim Powell

That 32 is a beast! I'd like to run it again after all of the changes ive made.

On stock engine I did not care for the 30 Promax on my boat. It ran 94 loaded to fish with 2 but never gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling. Never ran the 30 solo. I did however really like the 28 Promax. It ran 94 solo loaded to fish and 92 loaded with 2, I didn't care for the holeshot though.

RiverRocket

Surprised on the lack of the warm and fuzzy feeling. It felt really hooked up to me. I liked the Promax, but I don't think I'm as trim friendly as others.

I ran the 30P Bravo today. The Bravo edged the Promax in speed by .1mph (really nothing), but didn't have the mid-range punch of the Promax. The Promax pulled hard on every occasion except for out of the hole (may be fixable with 8 pvs holes) and for a 30p on 1.62 it felt really sporty. It also turned well over 90 which I liked. My bravo needs to slow down into the low 80's to get it pointed in the right direction if your running over 90 and need to make a hard course correction.

I need to run them back to back in the summer before I make the call, but if I was buying new tall wheel for overall good top end, I would go Promax.

I have tried a 25P Promax for the 900' races I run and even at the smaller pitch the hesitation is still their. I went with a 25p Bravo. It is a rocket at 900'. Great short lake prop.

Tim Powell

My 28 Promax felt great, it locked in solid. My labbed 29 however did not...it was very sketchy on top, so much that I never ran it solo. I have a 30 on the 21ss but I have not ran it on the Ally yet. The Promax holeshot sucks at best but they have really good midrange and run pretty good on top.

I tried a 28 Bravo XS and it was terrible. It would not lift the bow at all and felt like it was going to swap ends at any moment.

I have not ran a Bravo 1 simply because ive never seen one that would run within 4-5 mph of a Hydromotive or a Promax. But the bravo 1 holeshot cannot be beat!

As for the trim, I aint skeered of that lever, the hull will tell you when you went too far.

Your boat is going to ROLL with the 32 P4 when you guys get it balanced and lightened up some.

RiverRocket

Admittedly I have struggled to have a consistent setup. I think it has finally sunk in after having a poor outing on the Red River. I'm now logging my setup info in a spread sheet after every trip that I make speed runs on. The last few outings have went really well after I started doing that. My boat needs bow weight to run at speeds over 91-92. I don't think it needs the 50 extra pounds up front it is carrying right now. My next outing I'm going out with my 30 bravo again. I'm going to make one run with all the gear up front to establish a base line. Then pull out the none fishing essential stuff (50lbs consisting of the 25lb shot bag, spare prop, and anchor) and move it to the back and see how the boat handles. If all is good that is where it will stay. I ran the 30 Promax and the 30 Bravo after the P4 with no water in the live well, so I have that issue fixed. That dropped 110lbs out of the boat.

I very much liked the Promax after the hole shot. I think I would switch away from the Bravo's to the Promax if I could get the promax to come out of the hole with 1.62's. I had Jay drive next to me a month or two ago and we ran my 27 worked Bravo against his 30 promax. I have 1.62's and 50 extra horse power and he came out just a touch slower than me. My Bravo is worked for hole shot so it dies on top end and he could run me down as it's not much of 90mph prop. The same 30 promax on my boat is a dog. It has a solid 3 Mississippi count before it catches and starts the slow process of coming out of the hole. That is on a cold day with water in the 60's (ideal holeshot conditions).

Do any of your Promax props have 8 holes? I'm interested if that makes a difference. As I said above, my 25 promax with 4 holes didn't pop out much better than the 30 promax. Both had 4 holes. Funny enough, is Jay runs his 30 Promax with all the holes plugged. What a difference the exhausting and gear ration make.

Tim Powell

Do any of your Promax props have 8 holes? I'm interested if that makes a difference. As I said above, my 25 promax with 4 holes didn't pop out much better than the 30 promax. Both had 4 holes. Funny enough, is Jay runs his 30 Promax with all the holes plugged. What a difference the exhausting and gear ration make.
My 28 and 29 did not have any holes. The 29 had the base of the barrel beveled for a little extra vent. My 30 has 8 holes if I remember right, I haven't looked at it in over a year.

On my boat the 29 had a better holeshot than the 28, and I guess that would be due to the extra vent from the beveled barrel. But the holeshot still sucked, it would bog at first and then spin its @$$ off until it broke over.

Ally03 200xs

Admittedly I have struggled to have a consistent setup. I think it has finally sunk in after having a poor outing on the Red River. I'm now logging my setup info in a spread sheet after every trip that I make speed runs on. The last few outings have went really well after I started doing that. My boat needs bow weight to run at speeds over 91-92. I don't think it needs the 50 extra pounds up front it is carrying right now. My next outing I'm going out with my 30 bravo again. I'm going to make one run with all the gear up front to establish a base line. Then pull out the none fishing essential stuff (50lbs consisting of the 25lb shot bag, spare prop, and anchor) and move it to the back and see how the boat handles. If all is good that is where it will stay. I ran the 30 Promax and the 30 Bravo after the P4 with no water in the live well, so I have that issue fixed. That dropped 110lbs out of the boat.

I very much liked the Promax after the hole shot. I think I would switch away from the Bravo's to the Promax if I could get the promax to come out of the hole with 1.62's. I had Jay drive next to me a month or two ago and we ran my 27 worked Bravo against his 30 promax. I have 1.62's and 50 extra horse power and he came out just a touch slower than me. My Bravo is worked for hole shot so it dies on top end and he could run me down as it's not much of 90mph prop. The same 30 promax on my boat is a dog. It has a solid 3 Mississippi count before it catches and starts the slow process of coming out of the hole. That is on a cold day with water in the 60's (ideal holeshot conditions).

I had the same holeshot issues as you with my XB2003 / 300xs (1.62) using the 30 Promax with 4 holes. I had 4 more PVCS holes put in for a total of 8 and some blade work done by Robbie at Propeller Dynamics. It now comes out of the hole a lot better. I run all holes unplugged.