Prop for New XB-21 Pro Sport

Garry Hagins

Guys,
I am ordering a new 2017 Allison XB-21 Pro Sport with a 300XS sports master lower unit and 1.62 gears. Any ideas on props I should run. I have been told that a 28 or 29 pitch bravo fs would be a good prop. I was also told to put 4" spacers between the hydraulic jack plate. Does anyone have any suggestions??

scj

That's good advice! Allison owes you spacers with the purchase I would believe and they offer both 2 1/2" and 4". Ask for the 4" and use a 28" Bravo 1 FS. That's a 95 mph fishing set up on the ProSport.

Garry Hagins

That's good advice! Allison owes you spacers with the purchase I would believe and they offer both 2 1/2" and 4". Ask for the 4" and use a 28" Bravo 1 FS. That's a 95 mph fishing set up on the ProSport.
I was wondering if the boat would push a 29 pitch. I don't want to hit the rev limiter and I fish alone most of the time.

RiverRocket

I spin a 30p Bravo XS on mine. I have the same combo. XB21 Prosport with 300XS and 1.62 gears. On mine the 30p Bravo XS hits a wall around 93. I'm one of 3 people who have all driven it on the same day and each ran it that fast. That is fully loaded. I ran 92 with a full live well last week and the Bravo 30P. I personally like the Bravo, it just doesn't seem to have the top end. I have a 25p, 27p, and 30p. You will find the 30p is sluggish out of the hole, especially in the summer. I run the 27p for that reason. The 25p is for days when I miss the pull of my 300x or 260.....

With all my Bravo's they have to have eight open PVS holes. I even run one group of holes opened up to 1". The 300xs needs a lot of venting with 1.62's. My 225 Opti XS with 1.62's launched the same 30p better. I run wedges as well.

I'm experimenting with weight placement now. The bow is so light on these, that I find I have to load it up in the bow to get it to not feel loose and turn right at speed. It is a little unnerving to have it pulling so hard right. I moved my batteries all the way forward in the passengers side rear compartment last week. I see Steve (SCJ) is running one in the center. I may try that as I have to heavily load my boat to the drivers side to get it to balance out at speed. I also plan to try the batteries in the box as well next week.

Next weekend I will be running a 30 promax, 29 XOB, 28p bravo XS, and maybe a 30p performer 4BC. I have only run the Bravo since hanging the 300XS.

I don't have the pad modification. Trying to get that done this summer. They are booked up, so that may not happen. I'm running 0.25" above the pad.

Garry Hagins

I spin a 30p Bravo XS on mine. I have the same combo. XB21 Prosport with 300XS and 1.62 gears. On mine the 30p Bravo XS hits a wall around 93. I'm one of 3 people who have all driven it on the same day and each ran it that fast. That is fully loaded. I ran 92 with a full live well last week and the Bravo 30P. I personally like the Bravo, it just doesn't seem to have the top end. I have a 25p, 27p, and 30p. You will find the 30p is sluggish out of the hole, especially in the summer. I run the 27p for that reason. The 25p is for days when I miss the pull of my 300x or 260.....

With all my Bravo's they have to have eight open PVS holes. I even run one group of holes opened up to 1". The 300xs needs a lot of venting with 1.62's. My 225 Opti XS with 1.62's launched the same 30p better. I run wedges as well.

I'm experimenting with weight placement now. The bow is so light on these, that I find I have to load it up in the bow to get it to not feel loose and turn right at speed. It is a little unnerving to have it pulling so hard right. I moved my batteries all the way forward in the passengers side rear compartment last week. I see Steve (SCJ) is running one in the center. I may try that as I have to heavily load my boat to the drivers side to get it to balance out at speed. I also plan to try the batteries in the box as well next week.

Next weekend I will be running a 30 promax, 29 XOB, 28p bravo XS, and maybe a 30p performer 4BC. I have only run the Bravo since hanging the 300XS.

I don't have the pad modification. Trying to get that done this summer. They are booked up, so that may not happen. I'm running 0.25" above the pad.

Terry Wingo gave me the information on the Bravo 1 FS with the 4" spacers. He said that is what he has on his Pro Sport w/300xs and it performs very well. I guess I will find out soon. Let me know how the testing goes on the boat. I want to get a good all around prop for speed and hole shot. What kind of RPM's are you running? What is the rev limiter set at?

RiverRocket

What does his boat run with a Bravo?

The FS may work well, I just haven't run one and don't have any experience with them. The FS has 4 vent holes and what else? Is the barrel longer or added or removed flare?

I have a 2015 XS. Limiter is 6400. I'm not sure on my exact RPM. Over 6000, 6200 ish. I don't have a recall and I have my smart craft set to display trim. To busy holding on to switch screens....

Garry Hagins

What does his boat run with a Bravo?

The FS may work well, I just haven't run one and don't have any experience with them. The FS has 4 vent holes and what else? Is the barrel longer or added or removed flare?

I have a 2015 XS. Limiter is 6400. I'm not sure on my exact RPM. Over 6000, 6200 ish. I don't have a recall and I have my smart craft set to display trim. To busy holding on to switch screens....

I have no idea about the flare. Terry said to run that prop he says it doesn't have the top end of the Pro Max but has great hole shot and good to end.

scj

I have no idea about the flare. Terry said to run that prop he says it doesn't have the top end of the Pro Max but has great hole shot and good to end.
Terry is right on the money as usual but to get the speed out of the Bravo 1 FS, buy it from Lee and have Robbie work on it. You're going to have over $900 in it but it's the cat's ass! I'm going to have Lee bring me another one to the Rally this year. Just not sure if I'm going to have him build me a 28"...........or stay with a 26"

JWolff

River rocket, I am confused. Your boat pulls hard to the right but you are loading more to the right to fix it. Seems opposite to what I have seen on this boat. Wouldnt you need to load up the left side to stop right lean?

I still have string steering and mine has lots of prop torque to the right so I was planning on adding more ballast to the passenger side. Not trying to hijack thread. Just hoping to keep Garry heading in the correct direction for making his new boat fast and safe.

RiverRocket

Yes, pulls or veers to the right at top speed without enough weight on the drivers side. It only becomes noticeable over 90. I Added weight to the bow on the drivers side to get rid of it. I called and talked with the plant and they said it isn't uncommon in the prosport to add shot to the drivers side. I put it up front to make the weight distribution closer to the 2+2. The Prosport is know for being a wilder ride over 90 vs the other xb21's.

Garry Hagins

Thanks everyone for the input. I will have a lot of trial and error I am sure. I will have a 36 volt Ulterra trolling motor so I am hoping they mount two of the batteries forward of the console. I would think that would help with hole shot and distribute the weight more evenly. I have no idea where they will mount the other two batteries. I figured one in the rear port storage and the other somewhere in the center of the rear compartment. I would think that would offset the weight of the driver and keep weight distribution close as possible. Any other suggestions are welcome. I think my boat may go into the mold this week hopefully.

Did anyone know that BoatMate makes lights that go on top of your trailer frame? I have ordered some blue lights from them that will shine up towards the boat. It should help with loading at night and also look pretty cool when I drive up to the boat ramp early in the morning. I am getting anxious to get this boat and learn how to drive it. I will provide pictures as soon as I get the boat. Maybe even a few at night. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the info.

GotMyAlly

Did anyone know that BoatMate makes lights that go on top of your trailer frame? I have ordered some blue lights from them that will shine up towards the boat. It should help with loading at night and also look pretty cool when I drive up to the boat ramp early in the morning. I am getting anxious to get this boat and learn how to drive it. I will provide pictures as soon as I get the boat. Maybe even a few at night. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all the info.
Might want to save yourself some grief with the local po-po and put those on a switch. I have bluewater LED's on my trailer in blue. Moved to a new town last fall and got pulled over for the blue lights the first time I pulled the boat in the dark. Mine were tied into the sidemarker lights and inside the frame rails so they pointed inward. Had to snip 'em to avoid a ticket until I get a chance to put them on a toggle switch. They do help loading at night though.....it lights up the trailer like runway lights.

Attachments

RiverRocket

The new boats come with the lip shaved down. I guess it is in the mold now. Allows for higher motor heights and improved handling according to someone I spoke with at the plant.

GotMyAlly

Interesting. My first one, a 2008 model, ran better at higher motor heights. 1/2" - 3/4" above was not uncommon. This boat, a 2012 model, won't tolerate motor heights anywhere near that high. It likes it more like my old XB2003......1/4" below the pad to even with the pad.

Garry Hagins

Might want to save yourself some grief with the local po-po and put those on a switch. I have bluewater LED's on my trailer in blue. Moved to a new town last fall and got pulled over for the blue lights the first time I pulled the boat in the dark. Mine were tied into the sidemarker lights and inside the frame rails so they pointed inward. Had to snip 'em to avoid a ticket until I get a chance to put them on a toggle switch. They do help loading at night though.....it lights up the trailer like runway lights.

You are the 2nd person to tell me that I should have a switch on it. I will contact BoatMate and make sure there is some kind of switch to shut them off.

Garry Hagins

I found out that there is a pressure switch on the rear port side of the trailer that will activate the lights once the trailer is submerged into the water. It should keep me out of trouble with the police. Ha ha.

RiverRocket

Mine went 98.3 today and that was with a 1/2 full live well.

Prop was a 32 performer. Rpms estimated at 5750(I wasn't driving). Hole shot is bad and the midrange wasn't great. It was really just a top end prop. 1/2 tank of gas. 1/4" over the pad

Also had 50lbs of shot, 20lb anchor, and a spare prop all up in the bow. 20 rods, tackle, and troller on the bow as well.

Crazy how well these boats run with a load. Wish I had more time with the prop. Would have like to try it without all the weight. Next time.

Also ran a 30 pro max with the same load but a 3/4 tank of gas. It ran 94 for almost 3 miles. I really like that prop. Hole shot was slow, but tolerable. Midrange was great. I think the prop would run 95/96 with less weight in the bow and no water in the livewell. 6000 rpm.

Water pressure was 25-30 psi for all runs. Motor was moved up to 1/2". If it quits raining today we will be out again