Motor trouble!

Mick

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey guys, not to be to short I'll be back on later, just wanted to post this quick and see what you more skilled than I think.. Was out on the lake with wife and kids cruising along at 45mph and all
Of the sudden motor lost all Power and stopped.. Wouldn't crank and then when she did fire there was a metallic knocking sound.. Tried to run on plane and it just had no power so I shut her down and trolled in.. Upon returning home I pulled all the plugs and found this on 1 of them, bottom left cylinder standing behind engine. (I will post a pic with my finger on the bad plug... Thoughts??? Any help greatly appreciated, all 1 month before my first rally :( huge disappointment today..

tomoad

View attachment 10549 View attachment 10548 View attachment 10547 View attachment 10547 Hey guys, not to be to short I'll be back on later, just wanted to post this quick and see what you more skilled than I think.. Was out on the lake with wife and kids cruising along at 45mph and all
Of the sudden motor lost all Power and stopped.. Wouldn't crank and then when she did fire there was a metallic knocking sound.. Tried to run on plane and it just had no power so I shut her down and trolled in.. Upon returning home I pulled all the plugs and found this on 1 of them, bottom left cylinder standing behind engine. (I will post a pic with my finger on the bad plug... Thoughts??? Any help greatly appreciated, all 1 month before my first rally :( huge disappointment today..

Pull the head. Looks like you just eat a piston, locater pin failure!!!

Dave Hensley

Could be a locater pin. What ECU? A-48 and A-63 were notorious for a lean condition at 5000 rpm. Might have fried one. #6 is the hot cylinder so it dies first.

Mick

I'm not sure Dave, and I'm not home to look at it. It is a premix engine, so not sure how it could've leaned out. Them again I'm far from marine mechanical..
All I know is I have this slightly sick feeling.... Eh this is the nature of the beast I guess... Waiting to c what lee has to say, other than that not many options up
Here in the great white north.. Dave if you don't mind, can I give you a call tonight to discuss some motor questions?

Jr in Jax

My best guess is that you will find a clogged injector screen which gave you a lean seize. Most Merc EFIs will have that problem unless the screens are removed and another filter added inside the boat. This has happened to me twice and too many times to count with friends....

Mick

Well that sucks if that's what happened, because I had a secondary filter inside the bilge area for a 260/280 style engine that i disconnected per mercurys recommendation along with others. I was told it would restrict fuel flow without the pump in the tank. I'm not gonna get all up set, just hope I can get it fixed somewhat cost effective and before the rally although I'm not holding my breath...

Mick

Will and entire engine rebuild most likely be necessary or just what's damaged? I know this is all chit chat sight unseen, just trying to get an idea what I'm in for..

Jr in Jax

You can try a partial rebuild if you can get all of the aluminum out of the block with Muratic acid and there is no cylinder wall damage. Don't run it again before you have injectors flow tested and the screens removed. The friends who removed their screens have never had an another injector issue.
If there is wall damage, get it bored 15 over and use the Pro Marine pistons/rings/bearings/gaskets to rebuild with [if you are running a stock limiter] which will save you a ton of money...

Dave Hensley

I'm not sure Dave, and I'm not home to look at it. It is a premix engine, so not sure how it could've leaned out. Them again I'm far from marine mechanical..
All I know is I have this slightly sick feeling.... Eh this is the nature of the beast I guess... Waiting to c what lee has to say, other than that not many options up
Here in the great white north.. Dave if you don't mind, can I give you a call tonight to discuss some motor questions?
Sorry. I thought we were talking about a 260. I have baseball with grandson tonight. Call me after 8:30pm.

Mick

I know where a fresh 225 ProMax powerhead is for $4000.
Do you know them? Think they'd do a trade and cash for a blown one?? Idk thinking This might be the end of my boating for the season... was gonna message Roy and c what he has.. I'm thinking new power head if my best bet, but it's all more than I can handle on my own without some mother merc guidance.. Just not confident in my wrenching abilitys to attempt this on my own.. Plus I'm pretty sure from what I've been told injectors need to cleaned along with the whole fuel system.. I'm open to suggestions!

scj

I bought a nice 2.5 sportmaster off a fellow in Louisiana and he is selling the powerhead off the same engine. He is very honest and accurately described what he had. Parting out a 225 is the way to go as long as the block is not busted and the crank is good.

I'll PM you his number.

Jr in Jax

Since my last failure, I now have a block bored 15 over with a new crank/bearings/gaskets "pickled" and sitting in the box in my garage should disaster strike again. I just need to add a set of pistons to be ready to go again.
I hope you get yours fixed.

Mick

Alright, I'll be en route to Roy's place in Ky at midnight tonight.. he was kind enough to tell me he can probably have my motor done for the rally :) now to cancel my cabin rental, and sleep in my truck lol.. Guess at the very least I'll have a brand new promax!

Mick

Motor is @ Roy's!! Oh man, the mad has turned to excitement, except that half the rally or more will be spent breaking it in.. Lol. This man is a gentleman and a half, and judging by the motors in his place, she will be a runner.. Brucato pcu, injectors cleaned, fuel system gone thru, and new top end with cut heads!! Left his place with a ton of knowledge, and now even more excitement for the rally!! Can't say enough! Super guy! (Hopefully no crank damage)
I'd be lost without this board, and Craig's help to welcome me into the family.. Thanks all, c ya's at the rally :)

xb03fs

Motor is @ Roy's!! Oh man, the mad has turned to excitement, except that half the rally or more will be spent breaking it in.. Lol. This man is a gentleman and a half, and judging by the motors in his place, she will be a runner.. Brucato pcu, injectors cleaned, fuel system gone thru, and new top end with cut heads!! Left his place with a ton of knowledge, and now even more excitement for the rally!! Can't say enough! Super guy! (Hopefully no crank damage)
I'd be lost without this board, and Craig's help to welcome me into the family.. Thanks all, c ya's at the rally :)
Roy is a good one. Helped me a ton.

xb03fs

rally is a good place to get it broke in....better bring the gas and oil card.