New to me xb2002 and some questions

Npark

Thanks big nasty. Mseth, I never thought about it that way but makes sense.

Here's a pic of her after being picked up and without an engine yet...

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

The set up/rigging depends strictly on what you want to do with the boat. I learned to drive an Allison with ride/guide cable steering. I am partial to that system IF it has free cables. If you are going to run the boat loaded, trolling motor, sand bar necessities and are going to make a quick squirt to 100 mph and back down hydraulic steering and a Sportmaster that has been modified will work. If you want to run some serious MPH I think the cable steering is the safest and best. I have not bought into the one Jesus bolt between me and going for a swim with a SeaStar. Cable steering with the Allison yoke is bullet proof. The XB2002 is not a forgiving boat. If it starts to blow out your first clue with hydraulic steering is when you are in the middle of a hard hook and holding on for dear life or treading water. With cable steering you can actually feel the torque on the wheel go away and at least start getting down from speed. The gearcase issue is about the lift the Sportmaster has. It has a big rocker along the belly and lifts the stern of the boat. Yep, the pencil roll lifts the stern of the boat. Darris was very proud of how his boats performed with a 225 ProMax, Sportmaster and a generous pencil roll. With a 280, Sportmaster and stock pencil roll at about 101-102 the back of the boat will lift to the point of blow out. That is why you don't need static transom height. I had a 2001 model XB2002 with a generous pencil roll, 300 Drag, XR6 and running an Allison cut Chopper. 1/2" above the pad and that boat would pitch you out at 101 mph on the nose, every time. That little lip is serious. A nice worked 200 gearcase or a coned CLE in my book is the best set up. XR6 if you are carrying no load and just going balls out. Lastly, if you want to go fast get a prop with a Yamaha drag profile ear. Tim or Todd can fix you up there if you tell them what you want. All the big ear ET's, Choppers, SRX and the like will magnify the aforementioned stern lift. It is all about combinations and knowing how the boat is reacting. Can you make big speed with a Sportmaster? I have seen it done but the guys doing it were going way high on transom height and using big diameter props with Cleaver profiles. They get away with it by hiding that gearcase to the point of running out of water pressure. 90% of the folks out there will be happy with the comfort of SeaStar steering, the reliability of a Sportmaster and a generic big ear prop. Just don't expect that to be your 110 MPH set up.

Last edited:

Npark

That's some good info Dave, thanks. I appreciate how you took the time to explain the what's and whys.

Not that I didn't already have respect for this boat but I'm a little scared now. Seems like then lip and a sporty is not a good combo. If I'm going to want to go faster than 101ish would you recommend doing anything to the lip? I'm not one to start hacking up a boat, just asking for knowledge right now. Can you shave some of it off or is it an all or nothin?

And yes, he's missing it. Told him I'd try to swing it by when we get done with hanging the 280.

Dave Hensley

I would just use the information as a guide as you begin rigging and driving the boat. Under no circumstances would I touch the bottom unless Brack ran itacross a rock pile.....and I know he didnt. If I already had a Sportmaster I would send it to Robbie. The next thing I would do is get me a prop with virtually ZERO stern lift. skinny ear, 14.25 diameter max. Then I would learn to drive it. Set the propshaft dead even with the bottom of the hull.

Jon

Supporting Member
Like Dave said, start out with a conservative setup, learn what that particular boat runs like, then make a single minor change and see what that feels like. You'll learn what you like, and what is safe with your boat - you quickly know when you pass up safe :). Small changes add up to big results at 100mph.

tomoad

Ran a Bravo 1 XS 26 on my this week. Very pleased on how it ran. Tho I didn't run any top speed numbers as I was bass fishing and wind was about 30mph It came out of the hole good, carried the hull well. I was very surprised on how well it ran. After listening to some that these type of props (xb02) don't run well on my type of boat proves that you should try all props. Tho no where near wot I did run up to 80 and drove/ handled like a dream. I believe that bravo had the whole boat out of water with only the lower unit left in the water ha ha.