XB 21 set back

eddie8597

I'm running a xb21 pro sport with a 225 pro xs with a 5.5 cmc hyd and a 2" spacer. Has anyone tried to go back more than that and if so what were the results?

Allyfishing

I had a 225 ProMax on an XB-21 2+2 (different boat) and was advised to add a 2" spacer which I did. Great results!! It ran better and handled better with no issues. My Promax was in the 400LB weight category but I am not sure what your 225 Pro XS weighs. If it's the same as mine then I would add the 2" spacers plus the 2 degree 1/2" wedges for a total of 10.5" setback

gotmyally had a 225X on his Prosport so maybe he will add some advice.

xb03fs

Gotmyalley never tried his 2.5 225x with the extra spacer, he went 3 liter and never looked back.......as far as I know Craig you are the only one to try the extra 2" with a small block...did you remove the spacer when going 3 liter or leave it in?

Allyfishing

That's right Brian...I was thinking 225X for whatever reason!! DUH!! Sorry eddie8597 no extra spacers on a 505LB Opti!!

Nathan, Lee removed the 2" spacers when he installed the 250XS and put the wedges back on so I am at factory 8.5" setback now.

eddie8597

I try to get a little more prop bite in really rough water. Plus on take take off if I trim up too fast it will not lift and wants to spin out. My bravo bites better than the hydro but I like how the hydro drives. My 2003 I had 15" of offset and it was great. Just thought I would experiment a little and see what happens. I've got a 5" plate to add to my 5.5cmc and a wedge. Gonna run it this weekend.

FFWD

This is a little different combo, but I just put a 200xs on a Bassport Pro 14" back with good results. I had originally set The boat up with the factory hydraulic plate and spacers with the 1/2" wedges and trolling motor batteries in the back. The owner complained it was sluggish out of the hole when loaded to fish. Top end was 82 with a 27 hydromotive. He wanted to install the Detweiler hydraulic plate he had on his XB2003 because he liked the dial knob. While I was waiting for a new smaller setback plate for the Detweiler I decided to try it like it was on the XB03. I did change the wedges to 1". Holeshot was better and top end did not change. I tried moving the trolling motor batteries to the front and it really jumped out of the hole but hurt it 1.5 mph on top end so they are now back in the back:)

GotMyAlly

I know when I had my 2.5L motor on the back, I really had to stand on the trim button to get the hull to free up......but as soon as I changed to a 3.0L, lift was never an issue. No other changes, just additional leverage from the heavier 3.0L.

RobShaw-BasSport

FFWD, did I read that correctly? 14" of setback on a BasSport Pro? Ive been wanting to set my 250XS back a few inches more from factory settings if for anything else, to avoid jamming the motor against the rear deck fairing when trimming up at the ramp...

FFWD

Yep.....14" back. But this is a 2.5L 200XS so it weighs a little less than your 250. I know it goes against everything I've heard(including from Darris) but I tried it because its what I had at the time and it seems to work great. I will be loading the boat down heavy to fish in the next couple of days and will let you know how it works really loaded down.

xb03fs

How does it sit at rest with that much setback and the 200 xs ? Is it as nose high as the 2003? How do you like it with only a 200. Was 82 light or with a buddy? Troller or no troller?

FFWD

It sits fine in the water. I will have it back in the water in a few days and will take a picture. The boat belongs to a friend of mine. I just work on it for him. He loves it with the 200. 82 was with trolling motor, 3 batteries, 3 bank charger, fishing gear, 1/4 tank of fuel, no water in the live well, and me by myself. Next time out will be full of fuel, livewell full and two people to see how it does.

Allyfishing

To the original poster, eddie8597, I'm hoping you report back on the results of the extra setback on your combo!!! Being a 3 liter, I as well as others I'm sure, am curious to see if it helped or hurt any aspects of performance.

eddie8597

11.5" set back .5 wedge= about the same hole shot but ran 92.2 with 1 person and a load of fishing gear. That's about a 2 mile per hour gain with a 30 bravo. Plus it improved the handling considerably. I'm well pleased with the results.

Allyfishing

Hey eddie, that's impressive. Is that the same 30P Bravo you were using before the added setback? What is the breakdown of the parts used for the total setback..5 1/2" CMC hydraulic plus 1/2" wedge plus what else to get the 11 1/2" total ? did you leave the factory 2 1/2" static spacer on the transom and add something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!! I've never heard of anyone that changed the 3 liter factory setback, 2.5L yes I did to 10" total and left out the wedge and it was better all around.

eddie8597

Here's my set up . 6" manual jack plate, 5.5" cmc hyd plate and a .5 wedge. Ran a 28 bravo, a29 hydro but the 30 bravo that had been worked by J Cs prop shop worked the best. As cloce as I can tell the motor is running about 1" above the pad with a sportsmaster 1.62.