Xtb power

jeremy hood

Needing some input on powering/propping a xtb 21. Mainly using the boat to fish and cruise on the local river with some lake trips every summer. Mainly wanting safe easy handling, low 80's with a 500lb load, and decent fuel economy. (In that order) thinking a 200hp coned 2.5 and a 4 blade. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Kmack

You are probably spot on with what you are thinking (200 2.5 coned and 4 blade) which you should be able to find in your price range. I decided to step up a level fuel economy and performance wise with the 200 XS Opti (probably another $2500 minimum above your price range if you can find one). Mine should be in the water for the first time next week so I can't give you any numbers yet but I'll post what I can once I get it going.

The safe easy handling will come from lightweight and cone to raise height. Fuel efficiency improves over time so the latest model year you can find should be the most efficient. It's all a $$$ trade off.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you're on the right track. The xtb is a better hull than the 2003 in in my opinion. Easier to drive, rides better, and almost just as fast, all with a better holeshot. I still keep coming back to my 26 dah worked trophy as a great all around prop.

jeremy hood

Thanks man! I ended up with a low hour cream puff 150 with a Bob's cone. Found a 25* yesterday at the local merc dealer to get me in the water. Just a few more things to get buttoned up and we'll see what she'll do once I get comfortable driving it.

jeremy hood

Ok guys got major problems with my setup. 25" 3 blade. Bout 1" below pad. Bogs bad out the hole and revs high. Feathering helps some. Once it planes it tops out at 53-55 on a 6 mile run. Trimming high enough to blow out. Turning from 5600-5800. Stock 150 2.5. Is it possible for a hub slipping to cause this?

THutch

It might be a 2:1 drive. Check your gear ratio in lower unit. Also, you might be trimming too much. And lastly, your prop might just suck.

That boat should perform much better.

jeremy hood

Tried the trim in every position, not sure on the ratio but same engine pushed a gs to mid 70's with a 23". You mean the prop sucks that bad or the hub is shot?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kmack

Two things, motor height could probably come up and depending on gear ratio 25" may be a little tall for 150. I'd suggest a 4 blade in 23" (help your hole shot) or a maybe 24".

Try raising the motor up about an inch first (even with pad). Small adjustments from there make big improvements.

Be patient. Finding your sweet spot can take time.

•••

jeremy hood

Moved the motor up to around level to 1/2 below. Still have to get a good way to check for certain the rear roller on the trailer is in the way. Tried a laser 23 and there was a huge difference! No doubt the hub was slipping on mine. Should have a new one in it Tuesday. Thanks for the help guys!