xtb 21 setup and hull weight

silverfox

xtb 21,just bought a 93 xtb 21,going to rig a 01 280 20 inch motor on it,I need to find the hull weight ,also how much setback and propshaft height,I would appreciate any info. Silverfox

SSTOM

Call Bill at Allison 1 865 983 5920 with the hull ID# and he can tell you want to know about the weight. As far as engine height try 1/4 below pad to even with the pad. Setback I would try 10" that's what 2 friends of mine are running on there XTB21. Hope this helps. Tom :D

jimmyb

ditto what sstom said

just add 26 or 28 et and hold on

silverfox

Thanks for the input guys,I have had other Allisons but not a xtb 21.I found this boat down in Florida,it is in great shape and has never had a trolling motor mounted on it.I was told it was used at Lake X as test boat.I'm hoping the 280 will be good match for it.

fatfred69

I have a similar question , same model boat, but also new to me! Also an Ally owner for over 30! First XTB21. I have a Mariner 200, with a 'Bills' LWP and a Ron Hill (?)OH 14 X 25 prop, with NO CUP!?? Prop shaft is dead even centerline with hull bottom. Hole shot is good, but I blow real bad if I attempt to trim any after plane! Don't know top end yet, since can't lift it up to get there! Look forward to any and all responses!

fatfred69

pickwickangler

Ditch the ron hill prop and that will most likely fix your problem, thats the first step you need to do any way unless its one of them one off hill props that actually run good!

pacman809

Fred-

I run a 26" Merc Trophy on my XTB with a 200EFI. The new trophies are a smaller diameter than the LU bullet and I thought this would cause blow out- there is an adaptor ring available. Turns out this amount of blow-by was perfect to help break the prop free out of the hole and still not loose it's bite upstairs. I think the prop's the solution- consider a stock Trophy.

Pacman
'87 XTB/200EFI/10" Setback

HO

I have always favored the choppers on my xtb. With 4" of setback, my stock 200 (2.4L) turned a 26p chopper to 6200 at around 77-78mph. Good luck

fatfred69

Thanks All!
You all have hit on what I was thinking! Have ran Allies for a long time, various hulls, but this is my first XTB21. Have NEVER driven one of Darris's hulls that I couldn't lift some!
This Hill prop is certainly not one of the 'good' ones! lol.......
Have any of you tried one of the Hydro 4's? I have a fishing buddy that runs a 26 trophy that I will try that one!
Best to all!

Fred

Kelly Mark Hensley

Probationary User
Just Picked up a 93 XTB she has an Optimax 150( Reeds,Solid Mounts, Merc low water scoops,with the two tops pluged. ) stock Lower. She is on a CMC manual jack 5.5 back and 3 " below pad with an ALLY Cut 26 Trophy. any thoughts on set-up, with engine height on a Stock lower unit ?
Would greatly Appreciate . Thanks
( had issues with water pressure 6lbs.@ 5000k rpm. )
( other issue was speed only was 54 mph. with no trim )
( after trim She was ALL over place CHINE Dance )
then shut her down due to Water Pressure issues.
taking her in to Mech today to check for other issues that could effect water.

Last edited:

Kelly Mark Hensley

Probationary User
we the Mech and i discovered that ( some monkey ) hung this old 5.5" CMC manuel plate inside out and upside down then broke the adjustment nut off.
So i was not able to lower the motor, our add the spacers that ( Darris ) thought would help to get it back,
So once again $$$ into " if its broke . fix it the Right Way" Wife say's after the backyard is finishd and the Patio Cover built , then if i can pull this off before Christmas then Santa will bring me via Bill the A;;ison 9-11" manuel jack.
Fish'n is gonna be Cold this year.
Mr. Contractor,
on this XTB tourn what Prop would you reccomend ? ( on my boat equiped with that new Jack ? )
Thanks

Kelly Mark Hensley

Probationary User
Trophy Plus is what worked for me. With that 280. 28
Thanks Contractor,
a 280 , " Feel the need , the need for speed"
That's some beast.
For me I wanted a good rough water boat. and the Fuel Saving on a semi -stock 150 optimax blew my mind.
Yeah , I thought it would be Cool to run with those Big Sled's with a 250 , with a 150. 68-72mph.