XTB-21 Driving experience.

shuddyssoup

So today I had the chance to take my boat out for the first time and learn to drive it. WOW ... different would be the best way to put it so far.

Boat was basically empty other than myself so no weight on passenger side.
I could run her up to about 5800-6000 @ around 79.5 mph gps before she'd start to walk on me. How important is it driving this hull that I have weight or a rider on the passenger side ? And how much weight do I need if I'm by myself ??? I look forward to driving it past that 6000 but don't have the intestinal fortitude at this point to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

SLOmofo

I leveled the boat in the driveway, side to side. Then glued a RV level to the dash above the steering wheel. You could put the boat in the water with someone sitting in the drivers seat that is your same weight. Then look at the water line on the transom. Move weight around to get it level.

When your driving don't look at the bow, look farther ahead. This will make you sense as it starts to lean. Your inner ear gives your mind balance or lack of it, it's just like learning to ride a bike. As it just starts to lean give it a little turn to the opposite side.

Crawl, stand, walk then run.

Don't push it and don't take a passenger. Learn to drive in 5 mph increments. Trim it up, down. Over wakes at different angles. Once it becomes comfortable go 5 mph faster and do it again. This will get you to become as one with your boat.

Life jacket clipped and zipped. Kill switch lanyard connected.

shuddyssoup

Thanks for the advice. I was disappointed at my skills when driving for the first time. I just got out of a Bullet and it's a different ride for sure. But then I'm running 3 mph faster than I did with the Bullet and I have 800 rpms to go ...

I know that seat time will be the true approach to good driving skills ... however ... I just wanted some of that experience in my eyes and brain before I started the trek to increased speed. It's nice to hear what others have experienced ... Guess I'm saying, it's nice to know my fear of the boat due to inexperience is not uncommon and that's it cureable with gas consumption !!! THE INPUT is so greatly appreciated.

pacman809

Shuddyssoup- I learned to drive my '87 XTB the hard way. Other than seat time, several things made a big difference for me. Not sure of your engine but putting solid mounts in my 200 EFi was a big plus. I also run with two 25lb bags of shot in the left back well and that helped.( That's my 205lbs on the right). I have moved to a Sea Star hydralic steering now but knowing how to properly set up your dual steering cables to take out any play is a big plus as well. I generally run my 26" Trophy even with the bottom and rarely run with much trim up. Took me a while to change old habits of trimming up for speed. Good luck and enjoy!

Contractor

hold that hot foot down get on that trim... drive SOB up on pad & hold it...

shuddyssoup

Thanks Contractor ... Quite bold I might add. Still in the pea state working my way up to tennis balls and then to grapefruits. It took me awhile in the Bullet. I should have this thing figgered out eventually. Came across a 2002 hull the other day and now am contemplating owning two. The 2002 would be a project if the price is right.

It's been fun so far ... scary but can't wait to get at it again.

papascruggs

Hello Soup,having owned 3 XTB and 3 xb 02 I have always tried to balance the boat by where I install the batteries.I have always used my boats for fishing so I have always had two sometimes three.I have always put the heavy deep cycle on the passenger side in the back storage area and mount the cranking batt.in the middle compartment in front of fuel tank, it seems to help balance out that way.Also you will not have to trim motor out on the Allison like you do on them old Bullets.You will be real close to negative trim if boat is set up properly.Be carefull and have fun and youll never go back to a B-Boat.

nickens21

Hello Soup,having owned 3 XTB and 3 xb 02 I have always tried to balance the boat by where I install the batteries.I have always used my boats for fishing so I have always had two sometimes three.I have always put the heavy deep cycle on the passenger side in the back storage area and mount the cranking batt.in the middle compartment in front of fuel tank, it seems to help balance out that way.Also you will not have to trim motor out on the Allison like you do on them old Bullets.You will be real close to negative trim if boat is set up properly.Be carefull and have fun and youll never go back to a B-Boat.

My batteries in my xtb are set up the exact same way!! Good Luck.

Contractor

hold that pedal down.. get on that trim.. it get there... no ***** footing around.. your just talking about 75 mph .. come on..