XTB-21 and Lowrance Elite 5 DS gps fishfinder.

shuddyssoup

Reading about the installation of my transducer on my new Elite 5 DS fishfinder, it reads that it can be mounted thru hull but the image is greatly diminished. Can I mount a bracket on my transom as the instructions say. My XTB-21 is an 88 and has a non wood transom. Can I drill into it and mount the bracket or is the thru hull my only option. Thanks ... Mike

F2008

If the XTB has a transducer tray inside the hull that would be my first choice.

Mounting anything on the transom would be my absolute positive undeniable last choice.

90 5.0

I'm not up to date on the elite 5 dsi, but isn't it downscan and gps only, ie no 2d sonar??

I know the old ones were.

Anyway, if it is downscan would not be as good thru hull for sure and should be externaly mounted, but then running on pad it won't read worth a darn anyway(and not sure di would keep up on plane anyay??)

What are you trying to accomplish with this unit? I know it sounds like a silly question, but if you want on plane readings, i don't think this is the proper unit for you.

If you only want to look at structure with it then it might be great, but i would mount externally...

A hds5 would be a better choice i would think if you wanted to run on plane and read depth etc and mount thru hull..

shuddyssoup

It is the Elite 5 DSI and the transducer is a long skinny one. I'm not too concerned about on plane readings as I planned on using the downscan when not on plane. Even with the transducer in the tray on my old unit, when on pad I and skinned back, I still had no reading. I just hate putting something on my transom but then if I'm going to get a crappy signal from the tray then why even use it. I have already purchased the unit. I was really hoping I could use the tray but ...

F2008

If you're going to use it at low speed & off plane why not just mount it to the jackplate. A few guys here have fabbed up a bracket and hung a transducer off the jackplate or a skid planer. It's out of the water at speed but the same is true when it's in the tray. Would be a shame not to use the unit to its potential.

90 5.0

It is the Elite 5 DSI and the transducer is a long skinny one. I'm not too concerned about on plane readings as I planned on using the downscan when not on plane. Even with the transducer in the tray on my old unit, when on pad I and skinned back, I still had no reading. I just hate putting something on my transom but then if I'm going to get a crappy signal from the tray then why even use it. I have already purchased the unit. I was really hoping I could use the tray but ...
Yeah when you are flying the hull that part of the hull is out of the water, reading goes blank.

Mount it on the jackplate for best down scan image.

I have my 2d transducer in the tray and works great unless i'm flying, but then i'm never running wide open in areas i an not familiar with so i don't need the 2d then.

It is nice to have a good 2d while running, i have happened across large schools offshore and got of plane to down scan, side image i wouldn't have seen if i didn't get som e indication from the 2d running at first.

Mounting it on the jackplate is fairly easy, and can be done different ways depending on your plate etc.

If you have a skid plate put it center on this, if not bolt it to the side of the jackplate.

shuddyssoup

That's what I'll do then. Never thought of that. I do have a jack plate and a skid plate and lots of extra aluminum to mess with. Thanks for the great idea. Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees.