XST 18 Restoration

Barry Joye

Probationary User
View attachment 11827
Sorry, I haven't checked in lately. I'm guessing it's not a bad idea if it's done correctly. They're glassed on. Mine was removed and glassed back on, even more than before. It's now all composite, so there will never be a reason to pop it again.

It's just about ready along with the original trailer that's being refurbished by SMP. Everything should be lake ready next week.
Wow, yours is in tremendous shape...thank you for sharing. Mine has to have a new transom which will be composite as well. What motor are you putting on it?

Freebird

Wow, yours is in tremendous shape...thank you for sharing. Mine has to have a new transom which will be composite as well. What motor are you putting on it?
It'll have the same 140 Johnson that's in the other photos. Going to keep an eye out for a Mariner Magnum 150, just because the gray would match up really well. May just keep the looper on there and let somebody play with it a little. I'm a Mercury guy, but those old loopers are pretty stout.

Jed

Randy, it looks great. I'm finally getting some time to work on the GT20. Finally got my new steering and getting everthing set up for all the install's. Had a little problem that was overlooked when they did the rebuild. Transom had a bulge horizontally across the transom and couldn't get the jack plate to mount flat, so it's at the shop getting fixed. Should have it back by end of week.

Freebird

IMG_9670.JPG Picked up the boat yesterday and took it back to its birthplace for some new decals. Ordered new seats for it too. Still have to refinish the fiberglass fenders on the trailer and add some striping to it and the hull, but the new 15" Cragar S/S wheels are going on Monday morning. Hoping to run it today, but I'm thinking I'll have to replace the impeller before I can.

Freebird

Had a member message me about my restoration on the XST18, and it reminded me that I never posted pics on here of the boat with it's latest (and likely last) motor. I have everything I need to build a 1500XS, but this 115ADI with the 1500XS hardware is doing the trick for now. From everything I gather, it makes about the same HP as the 1500XS since it's rated at the prop, so I've all but given up on the idea of spending the $$$$ to assemble the real deal.

That being said, I may just drop the 115 onto the clamp, 15" mid, and LWP to see how it feels. Just hate to give up the integral trim on the current setup, but it might be worth the effort. I have a 5" shaft extension from the 850XS I bought a couple of years ago, so bolting up the LWP 15" lower would be very easily done. Just haven't checked to see if the tuner extension is the same. Either way, the old school, period correct look floats my boat.13941139421394313944