XS 2003 ????s

Fl Boy in ILL

My Grand Sport has a CLE case on it, hopefully by the Rally i'll have a 260 on it. Will the stock CLE handle OK on this or do I have to get it modded??? My last GSE had a Sportmaster.

Rick

S

Scott Gilmore

XB2003

Rick, why don't you call R. Pierson, he & Titus are doing some pretty amazing things with gearcases lately !! Looking forward to meeting you @ the Rally............Scott :)

Casey

cle

Skywagon had a stock cle on his when He got it. I dont think he had any big issues with it. it ran pretty close to 95 with a 28 hyperdrive.
The previous owner ran it over 100 with a 26 triton 1" below the pad. Seems like they had to run it a little lower than normal to make it run right.
Chime in any time, Skywagon

Skywagon

Well, it's just like Casey said. I had a pretty good running 260 on the XS and it went like a top. Unmodified skeg and no nose cone. I had never driven a high performance boat at the time, let alone a pad Vee, but the old CLE never let me down. Even when folks were telling me I was going to die if I went over 85. You just gotta run them a little deeper is all. I took mine to 91 or so every time I went out and went to 95 plus a couple of times. They don't "talk to you" before blow out like a sporty does. That said, I had mine for a year while learning to drive and I managed not to hook it. The previous owner took it to 100 everytime it got wet. Mine was a 4 hole CLE and I was told to epoxy the outer two holes by R. Pierson, which I did. No issues. Let her rip.

Bill

Jimxb02

Just my two cents.

The little "Red Book" published by Allison makes note of the stock CLE.

On page 25 it states not to exceed 90 MPH with a stock CLE.

But then, it tells how to modify it to raise the blow out speed --- torque tab, blow out ring, and "Bobs" nose cone.

Anyway, maybe Darris was just being extra cautious by passing on this info.

Jim

2Fast2Pass

If you want to run fast safely, get rid of it! 100 mph CLE, What ever.

Casey

CLE

Yeah Rick.....Dont run that cle over 90. Bill and I just made it all up. Maybe we just imagined it or something. Randy P sure didnt seem concered about cle's on an Allison.

Jimxb02

CLE Case

The issue is about a stock CLE!!!!

A modified CLE with nose cone etc. is OK

Again, the concerns originated from Darris Allison --- the guy who builds the boats.

Jim

Skywagon

Well, just for the record, my cle was stock. No blow out ring mods, no skeg mods and no cone. Is running 95 plus recommended with a stock CLE? No. Do I have a sportmaster now? Yes. That being said though, people tend to forget a couple of things. "Blow out," which there are several kinds of, is a dynamic thing. All the variables in the world contribute to it. So saying a cle will blow out at "X" mph is not correct. Also, people forget that the CLE was Mercury's best product for quite a while. There were a lot of racers in the past that ran the CLE. Yes, the CLE is more proned to blow out due to it's case length, but saying that it can't go to 95 or 100 is just silly. Been there, done that. I think the same people that say things like that are generally the same people that are really impressed when an over powered, 1300 lb bass boat breaks triple digits. BFD.

Great new site, same old B.S.; "I didn't do it, my buddy didn't do it, so It can't be done."

Jimxb02

CLE Case

Reread my above post.

I quoted from the "Red Book" published by Allison --- to the effect that the stock CLE could blow out at speeds above 90MPH.

Safety was the issue !!!!

I didn't say that it was not possible to go faster than 90 MPH with a CLE.
Incidently, my XB 02 with a Bob's modified CLE is now running in excess of 100MPH. The boat is stable and is predictable at this speed. The case is the best one I've run so far on this boat partly because Bob built it for an Allison including the 3/8" canted nose.

Jim

2Fast2Pass

"Great new site"???
If it sucks so bad why get on it? Heck, you already know everything. The point we were trying to make is that it isn't safe. Not that it couldn't be done. Those guys that build the boats probably don't know what they are talking about either.

Skywagon

No, unfortunately I don't know everything. I was just commenting on something I do know about, and that's running a CLE gearcase on an Allison XS2003. As you all can see above, I stated that I have a Sportmaster now with the new 280, and I think it is a better GC. I did, and that means me, not my "buddy" or his cousin's uncle, run a stock CLE on an actual XS2003 for quite a while. During this time I never experienced anything that would convince me that this case is "unsafe." Also, from talking to the previous owner of 10 years he didn't feel that the CLE was a liability at those speeds either. If I were still running the CLE today, I would put a cone on it. This is not because I feel it's unsafe at 90 or 95, it's because I'm trying to hit 105 this summer. As far as how I think a CLE would be at 90 on a loaded XB2003, or 2002? Don't know, and I never claimed that I did. And as far as the little red book being the gospel, it's not. It's a guideline. Your milage may vary. Darris and I have discussed my specific boat and set up extensively. He'll be the first one to tell you that the GS is a different animal.

Bill