XR6 Status report !! High WP

22R

Guys,

I pulled the P/H and was a bit concerned as I didn't see any glaring pluggage in the adapter plate or the block exits. I did find a couple small chunks of the same pedigree wood as I found in the divider. I blew compressed air through every hole that I could find, ran trimmer string as far as I could through each hole( water and exhaust). Dropped the lower unit again and inspected water pump and housing.Removed poppet again ( I don't quite understand if the way my set up is if this thing actually is doing anything). The flow diagrams that I have found on the net show that a water hose from the top of the block ties into the small part of the poppet cover. Mine is plugged and the hose off of the top of the block just dumps to the ground(water) via a hole in the cowl. It looks like the poppet looking at it from the bottom opens but both sides are in the exhaust cavity ??? Anyway, I put it all back together and and went to the river not expecting much. It started and I idled out, when I got on the throttle, the pressure only went to 5 psi. As I accelerated to around 4K the pressure was near 12 psi. I turned around cause I was low on gas and the engine cut for a second. On the way back it bobbled again after I planed then I got on the throttle for a quick second and it never got past 16-17 psi. I plan to install the cowlings, get some gas and try again a soon as I can.
1st pic -side view of my adapter plate
2nd pic- Bottom view of P/H
3rd pic- Top view of the adapter plate.

I don't like not knowing exactly what may have fixed it, but if it stays fixed I can live with it.
Thanks for the help and the Offers of tools and other stuff guys.

Later,
22R

Attachments

22R

I have run it a couple more times and all is good. Love me some old XR6 !!!

22R