XR2001 Gearcase

Fl Boy in ILL

Anybody have issues running a Sportmaster gearcase on a RR XR2001, will be set up with the tandem seating, 15" stock merc 96 drag midsection and a good 260. 9" setback on the factory Allison plate

I had a lean to the left issue on my 04 XR with a sportmaster dragracing

Thanks
Rick

bullwhipjkg

I ran a titus coned sporty on my drag drove great no issues have ran same gearcase on my 2002 same results no issues

hack02

That's what I run on my SuperStock boat Rick. I think the lean you describe is the case trying to climb up on top of the water around a hundred or so. I've resisted the temptation to raise the propshaft higher to counter this, as I feel you get more prop blowout on holeshot. I just live with it by moving my head over if it becomes an issue, which it doesn't always. As far as blow out or anything bad like that mine stays hooked up solid on the big end. No steering torque at all. Of course, mine has several hours of work done to it. One thing about them is they are fairly bullet proof, a very rugged case.

Dave Hensley

Rick mine wanted to dip the nose on the right with a stock Sportmaster. The guy that had the boat in La. that Lil Josh?? drove was running a Sportmaster at 122mph. He had removed the blowout lip, swept the skeg and straightedged the sides. If you want just bring it down here and I will take care of it and you won't have to fool with a gearcase...

suicidealli

I never ran a sporty on my drag. Interesting tho. I have had some cases that never really wanted to take a good set on some allisons.. I had a 200 case on my old ss, that was always a handful. Other 200 cases, and the sporty was fine... Might just be one of those evil cases....

Roy

hullbilly

I drove my xr2001 rr a lot with a stock sportmaster. Ran it up to around 105 quite often with no problems or ill-handling. I drag raced the boat with that stock sporty and a sporty that had the normal mods (skeg and nose profiling). There may have been a slight improvement with the mod. sporty, but not day and night in my opinion.

Also ran the boat with a titus 200 case. That case handled nicely, but again not night and day different when compared to the sporties I ran.

The only disclaimer with my experience, is that my goals were racing oriented and I never tried to set the boat up for top-end stuff specifically.

Good luck!

hullbilly

A couple more things/opinions

1. Through testing with my xb2003, a sportmaster had much more inherent lift compared to my JC's modded 200 case. I could maintain the necessary lift with more motor height versus the JC's 200 case. Only problem was that my JC's case had the gear ratio I needed and I never spent the money to change the sportmaster gears. I have a feeling the sporty may have been quicker (not necessarily faster) on that big boat, but I don't have the scientific data to back that up.

2. You mentioned tandem seating, so I'm assuming you'll have a passenger quite often. I think this plays right into the strenghts of the sporty mentioned above. The xr doesn't require the lift that the xb did of course,,,,but a couple hundered pounds in the passenger seat will change your setup quite a bit. I would think the sporty would handle the weight change a little better.

3. The stock sporty has an excessive amount of torque tab built into it (based on the testing I've been around). If you experience some ill handling,,,the first thing I would do is test less tab. Pretty easy to do, starting with a stock sporty.

9 inches of setback with a drag should work just fine.

suicidealli

No doubt a sporty carries a load well, and usually you can run it higher.
I was 230, and passenger in the back was 300, with a 200 case. I have the short ram, it was all the way out, and I could have used more trim..... So I agree a sporty would carry that kind of load better for sure......... I run 7" of set back. Add 200 lbs and a drag runs a lot i run different.......JMO

Roy

Casey G

i ran one on mine for years, even raced with it a few times. the only real problem i ever had with it was slowing down at speed. it took some getting use to.

allison8503

If it dips to the left raise the motor, if it dips to the right either add some tab or lower the motor.