XR-2001 steering shaft

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
This is a safety-related notice.

XR owners, examine your steering shaft dual pulley. It consists of a drum (where the cables ride) and a locking collar, a split compression-type fitting that attaches to the drum with 3 hex head screws.

The collar has a 1/4" keyway.

Does yours have a key in it? (run up a thin piece of stiff wire into the keyway to see.)

My cable steering was installed by a previous owner (I am pretty sure it came out of the factory with ride-guide cables, NOT the race-style cables it currently has) and the steering shaft has no keyway OR key!! banghead :furious

IF the collar loosened, I would wind up with a slipping steering wheel on the shaft. Not good!

Curious as to what the rest of you find.

Lou

PS UPDATE: I talked to Darris. There is NO WAY any boat leaves the factory without that key (turns out it is a specially-machined 1/4" key, in the shape of a "T" so the leg of the T fits into a single drilled hole in the steering shaft). Whoever rigged my boat with the race-cable steering, left out this critical component. There is not even a hole drilled in the shaft where the key for the collar is supposed to go. This was a life-threatening mistake and I am SO grateful to God that it was discovered. Without this key, the steering assembly is free to loosen and spin on the shaft. At triple digit speeds, this would not be a good thing.

Last edited:

Rusrog

I just bought a string steering system from Nick Winski at Wintech and he made specific mention of just what you are talking. He told me how the collar would probably hold it but DO NOT DRIVE it without drilling & pinning the drum assy.

It would be good advice for eveyone to take a look at their setup to be sure...