XB21 - No Start

GotMyAlly

This may save someone a little troubleshooting time in the future.

Yesterday I got to the lake, dropped the boat in, trolling motored to the dock, and parked the truck. When I came back, I pushed off the dock and turned the key. The smartcraft gauges all had power, the horn beeped as usual, but the motor would not start. Didn't even try to turn over. I could hear the fuel pump running. There were no alarms on the smartcraft. I pulled it out and checked fuses. I did find one blown fuse, but it was for the smartcraft circuit. That sent me down a rabbit hole troubleshooting the wrong thing I believe. I replaced that fuse to no avail. Finally gave up and went home. Got out the service manual and volt meter. Everything on the motor checked out fine.

Two hours to the lake, two hours home, and a 5 minute fix. The sliding door had caught one of the wires to the neutral safety switch and pulled the spade connector off. Bad thing is, I had actually suspected the neutral safety while i was at the lake. I've had it act very similar of the shifter wasn't in the notch good, but a little pressure on the shift handle always fixed that. At the ramp yesterday, I stuck my finger down in the notch and held the neutral safety switch in, but didn't go as far as checking the wiring.

JWolff

Thanks for the info.

2hrs each way to the lake? Dang. Guess I take for granted that I am 5 minutes from the Columbia River with 25+ mile runs between dams the norm if you want to burn some gas.

GotMyAlly

I can make it in about an hour and a half if I don't stop for gas, ice, drinks, etc. There are a couple of closer options, but the chance of having a 50+ fish day at those other lakes just doesn't exist.

mac03

I have a similar story. Couple of weeks ago I carried my wife and son to broken bow to do some riding . I start the boat and pull off the trailer,park on the pier and kill the engine . When I go to restart the engine . It starts and then dies. (You can tell its electrical) I pull the cowl and find a fuse blown (#4 fuse) Numer 4 turns out to be the coil circuit. I had to then figure out which coil went out. After trial and error I figured out which coil was bad and changed it out . Problem solved! I never knew that 1 coil could do that. What weird is I could replace the fuse and turn the key to the on position and it would blow the fuse every time