XB2002 Chopper or ET?

BruceMerc

I have run a "Bullet Cut" Chopper on my Bullet which performed well (loaded or empty) but on my Allison xb2003/280 Merc, I found that the stock shaped but tweaked 28"pitch chopper ran better with a load than the "Allison Cut" Chopper. It gave me enough speed and could carry a tournament load with no problems. I am now setting up a xb2002 with a 225 promax soon to be short shaft with SVS and was wondering if the chopper would still be the better all around prop. I know the ET would be much quicker but would it carry the load? The rev limiter is moved up to 7500 RPM but I still may go with a 30"pitch to keep RPM's closer to 7200.

2Fast2Pass

You can't go wrong with the ET. It carries my 03 so it will for sure carry your 02. For an out of the box prop, if I could only choose one, it would be an ET! The Chopper however is probably a little more durable. But like anything else what one loves another can't stand. Good Luck

Volatile

Depends on the load, but the ET should work fine on the 02. The Mercury big ear choppers DO tend to break propshafts when surfaced (high propshaft height). On the 03, we've found the ET to be fast w/o load and the chopper2 or big ear to be fast with load.
I'd plan on 7000 rpm or just under that with a real 30P on a stock avg. 225 Pmax. They will run right about 100 even or a tad under that on the 02. Again, depends on the weight and setup. The 225 likes more setback than the 260+ . 9.5" for the latter, more for the former.

K.Kiser

I have the same set-up, and am looking for an ET, Hoss, cut Chopper, Hydromotive TX series, etc... In my opinion any of those props are gonna be pretty strong everywhere, with the ET and Hydromotive possibly being the quickest and likely very close to the fastest... Again it's hard to argue with the speed potential of a special cut Chopper for particular application or a Hoss... None of these props have anything left to prove...