XB-2002 w/ 225ProMax

FireKracker50

Hey i just sold my buddy my 95' Stock ProMax 225 w/ 1.87 CLE gearcase.

He has an 89 XB-2002.

He will be using the boat for fun fishing. So holeshot, load carry ability, and acceleration is key. We are going to try to keep the RPMs between 62-6500. That us what mercury marine told me to run it at so thats where we'll keep it.

What would you all suggest as the best prop for his setup?

I am looking into a 26P Britt Cut Big Ear Chopper... sound about right?

J

John Richied

I would trade the CLE (or have a nose cone installed) for a Sportmaster or Torquemaster gearcase w/nosecone.

If you

Crazyoz

Banned
I agree with John on this, get rid of the cle and get a sporty or 200 with nose cone. I would also recommend going to 1.75 gears as this will help with keeping you off the rev limiter. I have a promax and like John said I turn it 7000 to 7500 all the time all though not for long distances. 6000 to 6500 is where I run it at long distances and it is fine there. The last time I gps mine fishing was back in Feb of this year. Me and one passenger and gear gps 98.4 mph with a little left. Good luck and have fun. I love mine and the set up I have too.

Last edited:

Crazyoz

Banned
Mine is an XB2002T Tournament hull with a 225 promax. I run a 14 inch jackplate and a 28 JC cut prop. I`m not sure about the hight. I have not measured it in a long time. I set mine up and any other I set up the same way ( strap your lifeline on tight and raise it a 1/4 and run it. Repeat these steps until you run out of water pressure or your gps shows your loosing speed. Once you find that point drop it a 1/4 and lock it in) Your boat may not run where mine does.

RedAllison

Yep turn that ProMax as far as she'll go, BUT the first thing you should do if you haven't already is DISCONNECT the oil injection. That cheap plastic gear doesn't last long over 6500Rs. That always puzzled me, Merc built a motor that is completely happy at 6500-7K yet only put a 6k rpm oil injection system in it. :cuss

I also agree on the gearcase, if that 95 is making any fire in her belly she can push an 02 faster than a CLE is safe going!!! :help
RA

Crazyoz

Banned
That `a big ten four on the oil injection. I fried my first one because that. The buzzer only goes off it the resivoir is low. It dont no how it is mixing. Never understood that neither.

J

John Richied

Back when I ran a 225 ProMax I ran the jackplate out at 14