XB-2002 Setup

jowens

New to me, Allison XB-2002 Comp with a 2.4L 200 modified carb mota. Has a CLE case with a bob's cone on it. Allison Jackplate, set @ 10inches of setback. 2:1 gears.

What height should i run the prop shaft? I believe its set 1/8 inch below right now.

Prop recommendations?

What speeds should i expect?

Driving tips?

Thanks

bassracr

if the pad is unmodified, i would leave it at 1/8 below and get used to the way the boat handles before you make any changes..for a cheap all around beater prop might want to try a 26 small hub trophy.. a 29 or 30 mazco or hoss triton would prolly be a good top end prop for you..the hydromotive is a popular choice here also..good luck,wear your lifejacket and kill cord and keep us posted. do a search on driving tips..alot of good info on here..top speed would depend on rigging,weight of boat..and how modified the motor (state of tune etc.) i would say close to 90 mph with everything in good running order..make sure your steering is free and the cables adjusted properly if it is still equipped with the rideguide cables..also your gonna need solid motor mounts if not already on the motor to get the feel you need to drive the boat at speed and keep it balanced on the pad

Last edited:

jowens

Motor should put out some good hp.

Has solid mounts.

Took the boat out, ran it up to 72mph. WAY different than my bullet was. This boat doesn't chine walk, it feels like it "wiggles". Need more seat time and someone in another boat around before i push any farther.

J

John Richied

About 70 is when you start driving these boats, don

jowens

Thanks John.

I have a stainless marine gauge. Its setup for a three ram trim though, and i have single ram.

Neutral trim would be when the boat and motor are both level (like when you are measuring prop shaft height), correct?

bruce pitts

do have the trim on the wheel or under it were you can trim with you finger if you have it under you can put one on it were you can trim from the left and right put 24v on the left and 12v on the right like gfinch said put a mark at neutral that way when you blast off you get to the mark fast let her start pulling then make little trim with the 12 v it works good and it helps keep the boat hook up be safe and keep the dry side up

max200

Setback and height sound good! I'm currently running a mazco 29RE so far it is the best prop I've ran good lift, good accelleration, and good top end. If you come from a boat that used to chine walk you tend to over correct the ally. it only requires small inputs. go slow and be safe. good luck!!

bigtis

In a heavier boat that CHINE walks and not wiggles, you drive the boat for what it's currently doing. In an Allison, you kinda drive the boat for what it's fixin to do, "so to speak" and the correction is very minimal at the wheel under normal circumstances. think of holding a post in the ground waiting for a machine to push it in the ground. when it goes to lean left, your pushing it to the right before it even begins to fall, correct? when the boat wiggles to the left, then goes to the right, as soon as the boat leans as far over to the right as it's gonna go get ready to make a small, VERY SMALL, ...MINOR steering correction to the right. I mean at the exact moment it's fixin to start chimmin to the left again. don't wait for it to start leaning left, THE MOMENT it begins to go left turn right, and Vice Versa if you want to make a correction to the left. just weight until the boat has leaned as far over to the left as it's gonna go, and the exact moment, not 0.1 seconds later, not 0.03 seconds later, the exact moment it begins to start leaning to the right from being left wing in the water, you would make a steering correction to the left. AGAIN very small corrections. You can make 2-3 small corrections and the boat will feel perfectly fine. If you over correct and aren't an experienced driver, you normally let out the throttle, and have to start all over again.

a safe prop to learn with is a trophy. put the mota about .5 to 1 inch under the pad. this way the prop will start carrying the boat sooner, and it will "WIGGLE" at lower speeds, therefore reducing the PUCKER factor. make sure the boat is ballanced good ballast wise, and go get you some.

Last edited:

85allison

The CLE Case might add to a bit of handling issues as well. Might want to get you a sportmaster or a 200 case with a nose cone

jowens

Bigtis, that makes sense.

My last rig was a 1992 Bullet 20V with a 225PM. It had hyd steering, small corrections to the left or a small amount of constant pressure to the left would keep the bullet running smooth.

My allison has cable steering.

Gonna go get some more seat time Friday morning.

Thanks for the tips everyone, keep the info coming.

Last edited:

bigtis

I've got a tip for ya. Take off of work, fill up the gas tank, and go get some seat time, then tell us IF your an Allison man, or you just own an ALlison boat:very happy:beer:

You'll soon understand why peolple own two boats.
A xr2001, and a xb2003:very happy:beer:

Fishforcash

Remember a Bullet steering correction is a left turn in an Allison. I learned that the hard way. :shock:

Slight left presure and VERY SLIGHT corrections if any. If everything is square and set up properly the boat will almost drive itself once you know what to do and when to do it. It will become second nature and you wont even know when you do it, its just brain and muscle memory.

The boat MUST be balanced and trim in short bumps and wait a few seconds because it acts like it shifts into another gear as it lifts and when it lifts you will feel it but the feel is totaly different than a Bullet.

Driving an Allison is close to the most fun you can have with clothes on.

jowens

Had someone come help me with setup. I need a torque tab welded on. And my steering had a ton of play in it.

He let me drive his boat. High 80's was very easy to control. Almost second nature.