xb 2002 / merc 280

jaybluez

Looking at a 280 right now, just wondering how you 2002 guys like your setups w/ the 280? The one I'm looking at has the remote trim pump and fuel pump. Seems to me like that would be a pain in the butt, but I'm sure I could get used to it. What kind of fuel economy do you get compared to say a 225 promax? Thanks for any replies.

Sking

hi po motors have single ram trim with remote pump, fuel pumps mount remote also. don't know why that would be a pain. its just a matter of where pumps are installed. great motors..

jaybluez

I have new to da mercs, always burned rice on the back of mah boatz, I have never seen a trim and fuel pump mounted externally. I was wonderin bout the extra hoses runnin from fuel compartment to mota. I figured I would really like the 280, the fuel consumption has got me a little nervous but I figured it couldnt be as bad as the old carburated hammer.

froggy

Horsepower requires fuel---even with the smog motors, but to a lesser degree at midrange. Rule of thumb 225 PMax vs 280. If you are making/needing 225 HP you will be burning 22.5 gallons per hour---either engine.

You won't see a difference unless you are asking for more than 225 HP all the time.

froggy

hack02

Put a 280 on it and you will never look back and also you will grin from ear to ear everytime you drive it.

Darth VMAX

I got a carb Hammer and I don't think the fuel milage is that bad? I don't know how it compares to a 280 since I have never owned one.

Good luck with your new set-up!

jaybluez

Well I did it, took a road trip to weatherford tx and now da 280 is hangin on da back of da alli rat now! Sux cuz I gotta go to work tomorrow but I'll finish riggin her next week, then we'll see how she duz. I got the torque master gearcase, how does this case run compared to the sportmaster?

Last edited:

hack02

If it has a cone and low water pick-ups your good to go. If not, go ahead and pull it off and send it off while your finishing off the rest of the rigging. You'll need to get that gearcase up out of the water to let the 280 perform the way its supposed to. Congrats on the new motor.

jaybluez

Thanks Hack, the torquey does have a bobs on it w/ low water pickups so I'm good to go. The guy I bought the motor from had a sporty on it but cracked the housing and went to a torque master and said he wont ever use a sporty again. Dont know about that b/c I like my dads sporty but we'll see. Thanks again everyone for the input.

hack02

I had a Torquemaster with Tooters mods on my 260 -until I broke the skeg- and the steering torque was alot less than on my Sportmaster. Drove great, never tried to blow out.