Who has Top Pinned 225PM?

whipper

Hi Im about to top pin my 225 promax. Who has done this. Who has not? If you havent are you worried about it and if you have have you ever had a problem with it? Im interested to find out how many side pinned 225 ProMax motors have failed? Im definatly going will 33cc heads because that will put me at a stock HP for my altitude. Im running at 2000ft and have 121 accross the board. With 33cc that should put me at 140 up hear. A little better than stock. I have A brucato ACU to feed the motor.

catfish123

225x with about 230 hours stock and so far, so good. You will always hear a lot about those that fail and little about those that don't.

Last edited:

bigtis

whipper, build it with vertex pistons like we use in the superstock and prostock motas. they hold up over 9K with no problems. I think you'll love em.
it's the best cast piston made for our motas in majority of racers opinion.

Crazyoz

Banned
All I have ever run is a 225 promax ss and I have never had any trouble with the pins and I turn about 7200 to 7300 rpm`s. Having said that, Paul Nichols will be top pinning it but I will be turning it in the 8000 rpm range when it comes back. I have always been told if you dont turn over 7500 rpms to save your money and put stock pistons in. Figure out what rpms you plan to turn, it will help you make your decision.

JaySmithRacing

I will not build a Pro Max ( or any 2.5 motor ) without some sort of top pinned pistons installed PERIOD .. Maybe I see too many engines destroyed as I have a first hand knowledge on this subject not simply a single experiance relating to ONE or TWO engines..

IMO for $300.00 to take THAT possibility out of the failure loop is cheap insurance..And don't believe the 7500 myth is just that. I rebuild fishing boat motors thats NEVER seen 7500 that the locater has dislodged..And that is a fact!

In closing I will say run and believe what you choose....but no matter who's advice or opinion one takes in the end remember YOUR wallets responsible for repairs and or damages incurred by making a decision that didn't turn out as planned .......

Jay @ JSRE

Last edited:

whipper

Yes the newer ones are upper and the older ones are lower. The lower ones are the most prone because of the location and room there for the pin to wiggle out. Or somthing like that.
I have a plan. My friend has a ss block pistons and all and looks like new. He said this is a bad time of the year to be doing this on my motor. I should have made it a winter project. Any way hes sending me the block to play with at my leasure. Full block like new exept one sleeve needs a new one and one piston. He has a nother piston and will get the sleeve pressed in before sent. The heads are great also and hes sending them tomorrow. Then Ill be sending them down to you Jay to get cut.
I can then begin getting the second block ready to send the pistions and rods down later when finances are correct to do this project. I have a lot on the go right now!!! So my plan is to have the second block top pined and ready to go. Over time Ill have the fuel rail sent to Todd and everything ready as a spare if the worst happens. Or if i decide to swap it out I have that option. That way im never motor less for more than a day. My long term plan is to get a 260. I have one I have first dibs on when the time comes. Then ill sell one of the blocks and always have a spare motor for when Im reringing the 260. My buddy says if im going to have two strokes I may as well learn how to do these things it will help me save money and know what to do when something goes wrong.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I hear ya Whipper. I am getting ready to put a piston in my 200. That way I'll have a spare powerhead if the 260 goes south.

chad202

When I had my promax, it had a red 40amp flywheel, air intake mods, 145lbs comp, sportjet reeds, 2.4 tuner, and raised limiter. Would prop it to turn 7300 with fishing setup and 6900 with topend light setup. One day when fishing, she went south and spit a stock side pin. That was after five years and around 150hrs.

john4utvols

I agree with Jay. Why take the chance."" Only If your motor has already blown up"" Now I wouldn't tear down a good 225pm just to change to top pins, I would take my chances and wait til she went before I spent the money.

FlatOutAlly

.....Now I wouldn't tear down a good 225pm just to change to top pins, I would take my chances and wait til she went before I spent the money.
Maybe not, but I'd sure pull the heads and have a look see. About 3 weeks ago I picked up another Promax for a spare. Looked at the bores and there's a couple of pretty little black stripes. Definitely a grenade with the 'pin already pulled'. It's presently apart on my buddy's bench awaiting about $1500 worth of parts. The block will be going to Ruck to ensure everything is straight. It's definitely cheaper to rebuild before it pops, but the difference is obviously not as great as it would be if it were a chrome block, but..........

$0.02 from Cp

lightening rod

I am one for one on a bone stock 225PM with the factory limiter, and mine went in July in the warmer water. When I get mine back together it will not have side pinned pistons unless someone has done something to improve them.

bigtis

we can't use a forged piston is DSRA superstock or prostock "fishing mota 200's"

vertex makes a race piston for us. we aren't allowed to run top pinned pistons either.

Just a thought. they hold up over 9K

john4utvols

Maybe not, but I'd sure pull the heads and have a look see. About 3 weeks ago I picked up another Promax for a spare. Looked at the bores and there's a couple of pretty little black stripes. Definitely a grenade with the 'pin already pulled'. It's presently apart on my buddy's bench awaiting about $1500 worth of parts. The block will be going to Ruck to ensure everything is straight. It's definitely cheaper to rebuild before it pops, but the difference is obviously not as great as it would be if it were a chrome block, but..........

$0.02 from Cp
Yeah I could see fixing it then

whipper

we can't use a forged piston is DSRA superstock or prostock "fishing mota 200's"

vertex makes a race piston for us. we aren't allowed to run top pinned pistons either.

Just a thought. they hold up over 9K
Thats an option I never new about. Thanks for that. Ill look into it. I wonder what the cost differance is going with these side pinned pistons over top pinning? Ya know Bigtis. There side piners right? Whats the differance with these over stock pins are they differant type of pins?

whipper

$0.02 from Cp
Ill be pulling the heads again to put the new 33cc ones on in a month or so. Ill take a good look for any pin wear on the bores for sure. I pulled the heads last summer to have a look see and every thing looked great then also. I wont top pin this motor any way. Its to late boating season is short and right around the corner. My buddy said I should have thought about this in the fall and made it a winter project.:banghead If i dont just bite the bullet and get a 260 Ill get a spare 225 block and work on that at my liesure then swap em out.

fishnfireman

Don't want to jinx you.

The last 225Pmax I had that lost a pin...same thought you are toying with------------I'll wait till winter and pull it down, cause i figure it's going to lose a pin sooner or later.

It did not wait until winter...and it wound up costing a lot more for block work and one new head.

froggy

Anytime you raise compression, with a cast side pin engine, you are playing double Russian roulette. The ignition impulses become more hammer-like and accelerate the demise of the side pins.

Also, if your side pin engine has ever overheated, even a little bit, but consistently, the side pins will loosen.

On the other hand, if your engine is working, and stays working, within the engineers' envelope of reliability, you'll be fine.

Do you feel lucky?

froggy