Which new production 2-stroke?

Kmack

I am still narrowing my choices for new power for my 88 XTB21 restoration.

I have decided to narrow my search to 175 - 225 HP, 2 stroke, with the latest/best technology available and weight under 450 lbs.

I know my options are pretty much limited to Evinrude or Mercury but I can't decide between the 2.6l e-tec 200 or the 2.5l 175 Pro XS.

Any input or other options I should consider is appreciated.

GotMyAlly

With either one of those, you're going to have to cone the LU. The only advantage to the Merc is that a sportmaster would be a direct swap. I'd want at least a 200 though.

What about a 200XS ROS?

Kmack

ROS availability and price seem to be issues but I am considering that option also.

My understanding is that the 2.6l etec 200 comes with e-rudes SLE gearcase which is supposed to be their high perf. model.

Do you feel it would be insuffecient on an XTB21 set up for fishing?

hirk

I would be very concerned with the durability of the evinrude lower. I dont think you would see more then 3-4mph difference between the two. The 200ros is a great engine but pricey

Lotus 50

The Evinrude web site says that the 150 HO comes with the high speed gear case. There is no mention of this for the small block 200. A couple of years ago a BRP rep at a boat show said that the 150HO would be better for my SS2000 than the small block 200

Could you go big block?

Kmack

The Evinrude web site says that the 150 HO comes with the high speed gear case. There is no mention of this for the small block 200. A couple of years ago a BRP rep at a boat show said that the 150HO would be better for my SS2000 than the small block 200

Could you go big block?
Money wise I could do it but I'm really hoping to get something under 450#. I had a 90 model of the same boat which I bought new and my recollection is that there is plenty of bow lift but the key to a good, level, ride is to get back end as high in the water as possible.

I am following the threads on others sites where folks are hanging big blocks on XTB's but so far I haven't seen much in the way of information from on the water experience.

I am not really interested messing with rebuilding or messing with older motors (I'm not much of a mechanic).

I am not set on anything yet. The next option up the scale is probably the 250 Sport XS.

fnshrmaster

My XTB is rigged with a 225 Promax. If I was forced to repower it would be a 250XS or 300XS. The 250 would be more than adequate, I feel the XTB would have no problem handling the 3.0. The 175 XS would be a great choice also. Sacrifice some speed, but a nicely balanced rig that is very fuel efficient. A friend of mine has an etec 200 ho, it has a ton of hours on it. It has been fairly reliable, a few injectors went bad. I would stick with Mercury, the Sportmaster is made for an Allison. Good luck with whatever you chose! The XTB is a cool old hull.

aeneas

...I can't decide between the 2.6l e-tec 200 or the 2.5l 175 Pro XS.

Any input or other options I should consider is appreciated.
If those are the only two engines I would go Mercury. There are probably more dealers and more service stations for a Mercury should (God forbid) something go wrong. The lower unit can be swapped for a Sportmaster. It produces at least as much power as the lazy Evinrude SB. The only advantage the Evinrude has for me is the winterization procedure.

If I wanted more speed I would go 200xs ros. It revs 7,000rpm has a short mid (good for balance), Sportmaster and looks and sounds awesome. Some people whine about the limited to no warranty and well, yes it is a gamble on the other hand I've had mine since new and it is just to turn the key and go. Gas mileage is very low - 20 liters an hour at 60mph in my boat according to the Smartcraft (another advantage). The 250xs and certainly the 300xs does not come close regarding fuel economy. Then with the 3.0-3.2 there is also the matter with the non-wratcheting lowers, as I understand a risk with Allison boats.

Allisons are light weight boats so I know what I would chose if I would rig another Allison. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Lotus 50

Much as I love my 115HO Etec, if I were to repower my SS2000 it would be new 175XS or maybe used gen 2 200XS. I think the 200XS is over $20K now vs 11460 for the 175XS. I could keep my coned CLE for the 175. Merc over Rude based on gear case options. Practically, my Promax could be on the transom a long time.

21 foot boat, might be a different decision.

Kmack

I think the 175XS with Sportmaster and Solid mounts would work fine. It looks like price with those additions is getting close to the 250XS Sport which may be the "best bang for your buck" option if the guys running 3.0's on there XTB's have no issues. I am following a couple of threads currently but not much going on right now.

I like the idea of starting out with warranty plus I am looking more for low end grunt than top speed. That's why the 200XS isn't exciting me as much as these two.

I hope that the 3.0l shows to work well because that's what I think I really want...

scj

I think the 175XS with Sportmaster and Solid mounts would work fine. It looks like price with those additions is getting close to the 250XS Sport which may be the "best bang for your buck" option if the guys running 3.0's on there XTB's have no issues. I am following a couple of threads currently but not much going on right now.

I like the idea of starting out with warranty plus I am looking more for low end grunt than top speed. That's why the 200XS isn't exciting me as much as these two.

I hope that the 3.0l shows to work well because that's what I think I really want...
No better engine than the SHO 200 if you're really after low end grunt. It gets better fuel mileage, less noise and no 2 stroke smoke to smell. It also has an excellent warranty.

Sorry, it's not a 2 stroke though.

Kmack

The 200 SHO flashed to 300 hp leaving rev limiter alone is on my radar also. If I can find a dealer with competitive pricing to the 3.0l Merc with sportmaster, I will give it a hard look.

Quickest from 0-80 mph is my desire and I still haven't been able to determine which new motor that is.

One plus to the SHO for me is Hydrotech is fairly nearby.

•••

scj

The 200 SHO flashed to 300 hp leaving rev limiter alone is on my radar also. If I can find a dealer with competitive pricing to the 3.0l Merc with sportmaster, I will give it a hard look.

Quickest from 0-80 mph is my desire and I still haven't been able to determine which new motor that is.

One plus to the SHO for me is Hydrotech is fairly nearby.

•••
That's a no brainer if Hydro-Tec is close by.
Hydro-Tec is the biggest performance Yamaha outboard dealer in the world.

I had them break my new engine in on their dyno which is the perfect way to do a controlled break in. And, since they have to remove the powerhead to do so, that allows installation of solid motor mounts for a reduced price.
If all you're worried about is 0 to 80, the stock gearcase will work just fine and there's no stock 3 or 3.2 liter Mercury going to touch it up to 80 especially if you have them flash it.

Give Wayne a call. He'll take great care of you!