Which motor?

slingup

Guys,
I am starting to get the fever to own a boat again. It will likely be an older 2003. What motors do you reccommend, and also what do you avoid? I have noticed that most people seem to talk about Mercury, and a fair amount of folks talk about Yamaha, but almost nobody talks about OMC. What is the deal? Also on the Merc's, EFI or carbureted, which is more reliable long term, and easier to mildly hop up? My last boat was a Blazer 190 with a 200 Evinrude. It was no Allison, but I thought it ran pretty good and never gave me a bit of trouble. Also, are most of you still running oil injection, or are you mixing? Thanks. Wade

Darth VMAX

Are you talking the old Looper OMC's? Or the new big-block BRP ETECs? Heck, the old 3.0L Loopers weighed about the same as todays small-block DFI 2-Strokes. I don't think it would be too big of a problem on a XB2003 at all. Bring in the set-back and limit the rear weight. A 2.6L ETEC (150HO-200) would be just fine as far as weight goes.
As far as EFI vs Carb Mercs go I think everyone would conceed on the EFI.

Last edited:

slingup

I will be using it as an all-around/family boat. I will probably be fishing 75% and doing the runabout thing 25%

whipper

I think the merc 225 is a sweet power combination unless you realy want to go over 100mph. If you can find one a 225XS would be a darn right awsome motor on there. The 225Promax and the 225X motors are great also but I dont think they would be as good as the 225XS 2.5. They only made the 2.5 XS one year but then went to 3.0lt motors wich a lot of folks have on there 03,s now to with no issues. If you go 3.0lt a 15 inch mid would be the ticket again a mod that i believe is available just need to get a hold of the right people. i think that would be worth the effort. The Hulls not going to break down. So the motor is the Key to succsess chose wisly. Theres lots of info on all the motor options on hear and S&F,Fastbass ect.. Do your reaserch. It will pay divedends down the road. I like the Yamahas but dont know enough about there reliability to coment like Darth does. XS seems hard to beat though? Should be in the 7000-10000 range for a low hour like new one. I think new or newish is in the 12-14 range? I love my older 96 225ProMax. Hasbeen great for 4 years but theres little tinkering to be done once and a while. From what I can tell the XS just runs and runs. If I was looking for a new motor it would be a 260 right now. i dont mind working on the little stuff but because i dont have a mechanic close to me for re rings i would most likely pass for a 250XS or 300xs with a 15inch mid and a modified ratcheting gearcase.

GFinch

I have an older Xb2003, 1994. I have had both a 3.0 and a 3.3 OMC on it. The 3.0 sawed it's self in half last year and I'm waiting for the 3.3 to be finished. They aren't anywhere near stock. Mid section is a MAD 16" with a Sports Master lower unit.
When I first got the boat I rigged it with a stock OMC and it was just fine. If your going to use it for fish and family any stock engine will serve the purpose now a days there all good. You'll find it's just like the Ford verses Chevrolet debate.

Theres a saying in the car biz "Theres an *** for every seat!"

What I would do is find a marine shop that works on large engines and every one in your aera trusts and go with what they service.

Darth VMAX

Do you still have the OMC and are just looking for a XB2003 to rig it on? If so I think for what you want to do then the OMC will do just fine (albeit it will be a lot thirstier than a small-block).
If you are looking for a complete rig it will be a LOT easier to find an Allison with a 2.5L already on it. A 225x or a 200xs are a great choice as well if you are going black

Last edited: