Which Hub Assembly????

LakeAnna

I just opened the box on a new drag 3 from Performance Propeller and the hub from my chopper 2 (840389Q06) is loose... so much so that I can move it around like an 1/8 of an inch or more. It's tight in the chopper.
I tried a 835258k1 which is for the small shaft (just trying it for fit) and it's tight.

What the heck?? I have a fat shaft and I thought the hub from the chopper was supposed to work. This hub is new also so the black pads are perfect. Anybody got any ideas?

catfish123

I have a prop or 2 where the hub is a little loose as well. I also have a fat shaft. It has never caused me any problems and I believe when the prop is torqued down properly, you will be fine...........JMO..........of course.

LakeAnna

I have a prop or 2 where the hub is a little loose as well. I also have a fat shaft. It has never caused me any problems and I believe when the prop is torqued down properly, you will be fine...........JMO..........of course.
Hmmm, Well Bob I guess I will go down to the water and see how it does once I stick it on. I hadn't really had any trouble with them until this one and it may be just me. It just isn't a snug fit like in the chopper/et ... :rolling eyes

Hope you and Matt have a good week... LOts O fun.

Last edited:

catfish123

I think the big washer you use "after" the prop tightens down on the prop itself and not the hub.

whipper

My drag3 was the same way. i went threw a few hubs untill i found one that i figured was good. I have a whole bag of them.The main thing is that the iner hub on the splines is tight. Ive found loose fitting hubs in the barrel are my mom to get out after some times. I have my trusty socket and hammer for those ones.:big grin

What pitch ya trying. Mine drags3,s a 28 and LOVE IT!!! Likes even with the pad. Super quick and fastttt. I could run high 90,s Im sure when I head south for a month later this summer. Up hear at 25% power loss I still get low 90,s with it.

LakeAnna

Hey James it was a 26 that I just got... The water was to rough today to stretch it out but I spun it up to about 85 one time. I hope to get out early in the morning and run that one and the 2 28's I have. So far the little offshore chopper is fun, just runs out of steam a little to quick. Or should I say the 225X runs out of steam... I think that's more the case.

The humidity is going back up tomorrow so no record runs are in the cards I don't think.
Did I ever mention how much I miss my 260???

Last edited:

whipper

So you have 2 28 Drag3,s also? I would sure like to know what you think about the differances between the 26 and the 28 of the same prop if ya dont mind. The 28dr3 i have is stock and is an outstanding all round prop. Maybe to compare the 26OS with the 26DR3. Both would do better with the R,s of a 260, as we just run them out as you said. For running with people the 26 pitch works good. Or a rough lake. That way when ya do have a small streach to open up you get up there quicker to take advantage of every pocket of calm.:wink

LakeAnna

What I have here is:
28 chopper II cut Lightning (Robbie Patterson)
28 Drag3 been worked once by Performance Props
26 Drag3 new and stock
26 offshore

Once I get a chance one evening this week I plan to run all of them back to back and see what the numbers look like. You hit it on the head though... my lake can be pretty rough and I love the feel of both 26 props. If I still had a good 260 I would put the 26 on and forget about it. With the 225X though you almost need two wheels for one pass...lol
The offshore drives like a caddy on this thing James. Needless to say I have to many props laying in the floor so 2 of them will be looking for a new home very soon.
I have a 30 inline chopper that is mint just need to get a hub welded in the sucker. That old prop ran like heck on my 2002 with the old cross-flow Johnrude.

Bobalouie

Put a few wraps of duct tape around the hub and then slip it in. I have to do that on my 22P drag prop to get it to snug up.

suicidealli

If your are talking about the fat shaft hub being loose. Remove the plastic pieces. Get new double face tape. Re tape them.... Adds extra thickness, and rock on!!!!!!

Roy

procomp

hey Whipper, the 26 offshore Chris has is your old one that I put a fat shaft hub into.

Last edited:

whipper

hey Whipper, the 26 offshore Craig has is your old one that I put a fat shaft hub into.
Ya I know Brad. Thats why I keep trying to find out what works best with the other props he has because I know how good that one was. then when i buy another one ill have a better idea since hes in the middle of testing some.:beer:

That was a real quick prop. Just bit and went.

BTW hows winterpegs weather been? Off and on hear. Decent except when Im off work!!!!

LakeAnna

If your are talking about the fat shaft hub being loose. Remove the plastic pieces. Get new double face tape. Re tape them.... Adds extra thickness, and rock on!!!!!!

Roy
Sounds good Roy, thought you where at the rally? I wish I could get down there...:banghead