What's your preference on life jackets?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there are a few life jacket brands out there, but who likes what? My boat will soon be running around 80 on a regular basis I hope, and it's about time I invest in some good stuff...I've got my good ski jacket which is comfortable and works really well, but prolly not so much for high speed. As someone mentioned in another thread, we spend a lot of money on going fast, but some of us not so much on safety. Is lifeline pretty much the way to go? SRP? What's the most comfortable? I pretty sure that in my XTB-21 if I went around, I'd be goin for a swim. Seems like you'd most likely stay in the boat in something like a GS, but not so much in the bass boat. Anyway, opinions are much appreciated. Gonna get on this fairly soon. I'd rather be alive and have less money than dead and someone else get my money. Thanks!

Brian

whipper

I wear this one and its very comfy and rated to 100mph. I like the life lines to but never wore one to know how they feel. They seem to have the most options for style. Mustang makes great quality Vests! They make the best off shore extream survival suits in the buiss. They do test every thing. http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=407&mc=4

Last edited:

ziemer

I've had the non-capsule/non-chute style jacket for the last 5 or so years, and although it's a bit bulky, and hot I feel much safer with it on.

The Lifelines seem to pop up a lot more often in the classified sections and the nice thing about Lifeline is that you can send them back to the factory and they will re-furbish them and re-certify the jacket. (SRP may also do this, just haven't had experience with 'em)

If you decide to go with a Lifeline or SRP, be sure to still keep a couple regular life jackets on board, as most of the racing jackets are NOT Coast Guard approved. :wink

whipper

If you decide to go with a Lifeline or SRP, be sure to still keep a couple regular life jackets on board, as most of the racing jackets are NOT Coast Guard approved. :wink
I find that interesting? Why wouldnt they be coast guard aproved? That make no sence to me at all?

aaronmt

I sure like my bright orange ones I have there a lil square and bulky though.:gasp Ive thought about this myself I always run a nice ski jacket taht tight fittin, not sure what all teh differences are .

suicidealli

srp jackets are more comfortable than a lifline.... rated the same.. also has a tailbone protector in the standard jacket..... around 550 for a new one....

roy

propmanjay

Whipper, dose that jacket have leg straps? If not I would consider getting one with straps. I like my lifeline but I haven't tried an SRP.

F2008

I agree, ......now that I'll be wearing mine regularly I'm glad I got the 100 mph rated with the leg straps.

Fl Boy in ILL

I have a SRP that I used to race with in my open boat, they clean and re-certify just like Lifeline, I think the SRP is a little less bulky but have never crash tested it like I did my lifeline (somebody stole that one).

With that said I just bought my wife a lifeline to wear in our Ally. I had a small customer satisfaction issue with SRP that they correct but took a few months.

Rick

john4utvols

I was throwed out at 104mph with a lifeline Compvest on and it did the job, But I would suggest having the tailbone gaurd. My *** bone still hurts. This vest is also very uncomfortable I would not want to cruise around at 70 with this vest on, But if I was making some high speed runs, This is the vest I would want on. I'm also curious about the starter vest, is it stuffed like the comp or is it flat in the front. I have the Allison 100mph jackets that we wear when we are crusing at higher speeds, these have not been water tested at high speeds, but I do feel safe with them on.

ally2dextreme

i would not feel safe unless the jacket would float you face up,the impact is only part of the issue,you need to have your head up to breath if your knocked out

1badss

Banned
I was throwed out at 104mph with a lifeline Compvest on and it did the job, But I would suggest having the tailbone gaurd. My *** bone still hurts. This vest is also very uncomfortable I would not want to cruise around at 70 with this vest on, But if I was making some high speed runs, This is the vest I would want on. I'm also curious about the starter vest, is it stuffed like the comp or is it flat in the front. I have the Allison 100mph jackets that we wear when we are crusing at higher speeds, these have not been water tested at high speeds, but I do feel safe with them on.
I have the starter and it is not as stuffed as the chute jacket I have but it is still uncomfortable to wear. I mostly use it when I ride with someone else! The SRP I have is more comfortable than the LifeLine.

i would not feel safe unless the jacket would float you face up,the impact is only part of the issue,you need to have your head up to breath if your knocked out
I went thru that with Life Line and they told me none of their jackets or SRPs are designed to do that.. Go figure.