Whats this wire???

Bobalouie

Fellas,

I have a wire that is not hooked up that comes out of my EFI Box harness. It is over by the switchboxes and is a Yellow with Red stripe. I looked at my Manual and it says that it should go to a terminal block.

What does this wire go to?

It has never been hooked up on my engine, but everything works. Looking at the manual and doing a little deductive reasoning, I think it is supposed to go from that terminal block, then to a Yellow with black stripe that goes to the boat harness plug, then on to the "C" terminal on the back of the keyswitch.

What does the "C" terminal do?

It is not the wire that comes out of the boat harness that is yellow/red and hooks to the start solenoid. It is some other Yellow/red wire from the EFI box harness.

I have one wire on the engine side of the plug that plugs into the boat harness that is blue, but I cant find a reference to the blue wire on any wiring diagrams. It is also not connected to anything. I have a feeling that the engine side plug to the boat harness has been spliced by someone and that blue wire should be the yellow/black referenced above, but I am not sure.

Anyone know what that one is?

All the other wires coming out of the engine side boat harness plug are going to the correct places.

Last edited:

chad202

I believe it's a cold choke feature. I have that wire and the yellow/black not hooked up.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't yellow with a red tracer have something to do with the kill switch? I don't have my boat or manuals here, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Bobalouie

Yellow with red tracer coming out of the boat harness is the neutral safety switch, but this one is coming out of the EFI box harness.

Chad, that makes sense if the "C" terminal on the key switch is called "C" for choke. I know that the choke system is not hooked up on my engine, so that must be what it is.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yellow with red tracer coming out of the boat harness is the neutral safety switch, but this one is coming out of the EFI box harness.

Chad, that makes sense if the "C" terminal on the key switch is called "C" for choke. I know that the choke system is not hooked up on my engine, so that must be what it is.
Oh yeah, that's right...my bad, forget I said anything, lol!

BGohr

the yellow with the red tracer out of the ECU harness gets attached to the yeloow with a black stripe coming out of the PH harness, this is usually done on one of the little terminal blocks right behind the starter on the timing pointer screw, there should be two blocks, one with this connection the other should be the two tan/blues for the overheat sensor

BGohr

if you hook it up correctly when you turn the key on and push it in you should hear the top two injectors buzz.

BGohr

the "C" on the key switch simply means choke,

suicidealli

Yellow with red trace hooked to yellow with black trace is for a manual choke. If you have a push bottom key for choke it will fire the injectors if the key is on.. Mercury left them taped up in the harness. I always hook mine up. When it is cold it makes for a easy start.

It should be hooked up to a plastic block, and then mounted to the engine block with another screw.

Roy