water water everywhere!

Speedman

While putting in some break in time today, I noticed the volt meter start to read at 16 volts and then the motor started to lose RPM, I came off plane and looked back and discovered the water hose on the port side had somehow got sucked into the engine compartment and was filling it up!, I rerouted it and got it back on plane and headed back in at 3500 rpm, she ran fine for about 10 minutes and then started to lose rpm again. We got it back to the shop and tested compression and all were at 103-135 and had spark to all 6 cyl, My mech said I probably got the wiring wet and that it may just need to dry out. Any of you guys have any other ideas. I started it in the driveway at home and it seem to run fine, but as I had no ears for it, I just let it run for a few seconds

J

John Richied

I think your engine just needed to dry out… If it did any damage it probably would have been if/when it sucked water in the intake and it would have hydro locked and you would have bent a connecting rod.

Where the water hoses exit through the cowling it’s a good idea to put a stay strap (plastic tie) on the hose(s) so the discharge hose can’t pull back into the cowling.

Speedman

thanks

Hey John, even though I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I am by no means and expert and having no other go fast boats or Home mechanics around here that know the hi-po stuff is tough. One thing I can count on for the last 10 years that I have owned the boat is anytime I needed help on this board, you have offered great advice and I just wanted to say "Thanks"!

Now what is hydro locked? We did put the plastic ties on that morning! I would have though based on where the hose was point ( right at the front of the motor along the throttle cables, that it would have been spraying right into the air inlet behind the ECU, but she ran fine all the way back to the boat. What kind of worried me was when I lost RPM half way back, So, I will let her dry out and try again!

GFinch

Hydro lock is when enough water is in a cylinder that when the piston comes up to compress, the water stops the piston. At that point something has to give/bend or break thats usually the conecting rod.

Almost had it happen yesterday, ran without the cowl on. Very close!

JR

Did you really mean that the compression readings on your cylinders ranged from 103-130?
If that is true I would pull the head and look at the bores. My last readings on my 400 hour PMax 225 were 132 +- 1 PSI and my last 1300 hour powerhead that had a scuffed bore was 130+- 5 PSI.
Maybe I misunderstood your post?
JR

one-fast-one

I have to agree with JR. 27 lbs compression difference is a lot. Ck the compression cold and then hot. If the range is still there pull the head or heads. :eek: :eek:

Later Dennis