Two VS Three

fishnfireman

What's up with this ???

Just got my new trolling motor.
The wires had a caution tag on them with several warnings including one not to use wires less than 8 gauge. But the wire it is attached to looks to be smaller than that.

Also warned that the use of the cranking battery for trolling motor would cause corrision and would VOID the warranty..

wasmeneh

TM

I think the they are talking about the wire bring the energy to the TM. You loose a lot of power with the small diameter wire(+heat) I haven't heard anything about the starting battery part of the question.

JR

wire issues

The resistance of a conductor [wire] is a componet of length. The branch circuit conductors in the boat are much longer than the lead-ins to the troller, so the resistance is greater. The smaller wiring inside of an appliance is governed by the "pigtail rule".
The relativly fast voltage drop on a Cranking battery could cause overheating of the conductors inside the troller. The overheating causes corrosion of the terminals / switch contacts.
[Boring, today at work, since I'm the Boss, [ can you tell?]
JR

jimmyb

what brand/model of TM???

i use 3 batteries in my boat (36V TM), but my "starting" battery is also a full-fledged deep cycle battery

fishnfireman

jimmyb,
it's one of the brand new 80# pro maxxium's by Minnkota. This is the first time i have seen one with the warning about the cranking battery.

JR,
So what you are saying is- that because the pigtail that comes with the motor is so short it will not mater that it is of a small gauge ?

Its not quite the same with firehose hydraulics..
If you run 150 ft of 3' hose then put an 1 1/2 nozzle at the working end. The result will be a lot less water.