Trim Systems, whats safe

GFinch

With the mishaps and accidents in the past due to trim systems whats safer and whats not.

Trim timers, limit devices etc.

I don't want to become a "Trim Accident Club Member". My OMC has a 2 wire pump so it is like some of the Merc systems. I understand there is also a 3 wire Merc system.
I have been running a trim stop made by Galen Burden. This allows 24 volts until the stop point is reached then it is 12 volts above that point. Up to this point I control with a double blinker style switch.
I use solenoids with silver contacts which should eliminate/reduce the welding problem that occurs when using relays. I'll post a pic.
What I'm thinking of doing is putting a switch on the gas pedal that starts the 24 volt portion and when the trim stop gets to the stop point 24 volt is canceled until the engine is trimmed back down to the original starting position. I think, I would have to add another switch to the trim stop unit as a reset and then figure out a way to flip flop the power with more relays.
OR!
I sure many have attempted something like this but I haven't seen it. It might be prone more to an accident, I don't know thats why I'm asking.
This isn't only about my system, I would like to see input on the other ways and other systems also, for the family.

What works, what doesn't.

Last edited:

ALLISONMAN

Nothing is safe!!!!! Limit switch can go bad, timer can go bad, relays can stick, trim buttons can stick, trim pump lines can break!! You have to check stuff over and over and over!!!!! And replace stuff as they get old and before they fail!!!!!!

MCM

How can a mechanical limit be put on a single ram 20"?

hullbilly

I really like to be able to trim my motor for hanging out at the sandbar and for traveling long distances, especially when I'm not sure what type of roads I may encounter. So, this limits the options. However, I heard Michael Dixon say (after he flipped his boat) that he suggest dual galen burden style limit switches. I never really thought about having two before, but it makes sense if you're trying to go that extra mile for saftey. The rigging may be a little tricky, but again, if you're going the extra mile, I'm sure it's doable.

I believe Mike was saying he felt like he may have had the single limit switch fail. I would think your odds would be extremely low of the timer, and two limit switches failing all simultaneously.

Just from my own experience, if you're running 24 volt trim, I've had good luck with the continuous duty heavy trucking solenoids. Not saying these will never stick or fail, but they are designed for rougher usage. I bought mine at a local big rig parts store.

Last edited:

ALLISONMAN

THIS HAS GOT ME AND OLE HOTPROP THINKING!!!! SCARY THOUGHT HUH!!!! BUT I THINK I AM GONNA ADD A LIMIT SWITCH TO GO WITH MY TIMER. I THINK I COULD USE MY TIMER AS THE MAIN TRIM TIMER AND USE THE LIMIT SWITCH TO CATCH IT IF THE TIMER DOESNT STOP!!! OF COURSE NONE OF THIS IS WORTH A CRAP IF A RELAY HANGS!!!!!!:banghead

Casey G

Bryan that's how my boat is rigged, but I set my a little different. I use the timer only for the delay, the limit switch is what stops it. this way it's much more accurate. With the timer only you go into the water with it trimming one place and by the end of the race it will be trimming less because of the decreased battery voltage slowing the pump down.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

This is a cut and paste from the Bass Boat Bill Topic.

"The promax trim has no business on a 100mph boat period!!! I would bet that bill relay stuck after take off and didnt have enough force to trim out to trailer mode until he let off the throttle!!!! Rocket where on the course did bill spin out at??? On another note i have never seen a relay on the hi-po mid stick and esepically the 24 volt solenoid that you can but at truck parts house!!! Glad bill is ok!!!!! "

allison8503

My dad and one of his buddys made a removable mechanical stop back in the day. They tapped the holes in the clamp bracket were the rod can run through on the clamp bracket. Then they went out and made a aired out high as you would want to run one pass and didnt touch the trim. Then they ran a heavy duty steel cable that was rubber coated around the swivel tube and bolted it to one side and the other side they put a stud in the hole with a nut to be able to tighten and then ground the threads off and drilled a hole in for a carter key and they would slip the cable end over the the stud put a washer on it and then the carter key to just hold it from slipping off. When you would pull up somewhere it was pull the key slip the cable off and trim it up.

jay j

trim limit would be the bet. i have had a solenoid stick, right out of the hole, and also had a trim timer re-engage at about 100mph, so anything can happen. btw when the timer came back on it was like i was looking down from about 3 stories and an eerie quiet can upon me, next thought was this is gonna hurt, but in ally fashion she fell in transom first
hooked to the right but not all the way around and straightened out. talk about needing a
underwear change. just make sure your stuff is checked and be safe. later jay

Casey G

I can't help you with them, but I did snap this one at Butte last month of Garrell getting close to the point of no return. it got higher, but they didn't come out. this picture was at about 900' so he was getting close to 110 mph.

he is without a doubt one of the least scared drivers I know.

chad202

I was at that race and the boat in fact did get a good bit higher. He did an awesome job setting her back in the water.

allison8503

yea when they get that high you have to go aginst everything your brain is telling you and dont lift and trim down. easier said than done but he did a good job of staying in the gas.

Casey G

Is his trim controled by a timer or limit switch? Or was this his desision to trim as high as it is?
I'm sure he does, but if I had to say I'd just say he got a little happy with the up button. our mid sections are exactly the same and unlike most 12's they have way more positive trim then is needed. that can get you in trouble if you're not careful.