Trim - Fluid level

jdm90

Can anyone tell me what the proper fluid level in the trim system should be and how to determine the level. Also, what type fluid should be added if needed :?:
Thanks - David

jdm90

Thanks for the reply brotherxb03. Sorry to sound dumb but I really don't know which type. Its a '84 Mariner 200 - if that matters. One main lift cylinder with two other cylinder rods extending only through the trim travel range. Another boating friend told me any lightweight non-detergent oil or non-foaming hyd. fluid would be OK. Still not sure about fluid level though. I have checked by removing filler cap and no fluid is visible - ran cable tie down filler tube and only about 1" of fluid on it.

brotherxb03

If it's a 84 there shoud be a spout through the port engine clamp bracket. First trim the motor all the way up to release the pressure in the reservoir. If you don't do this it will blow oil out when removing the cap. Once you remove the cap just ad oil till it at the bottom of the filler neck using a small funnel or I like to use a trigger type oil gun as to have more conrtol as not to over fill.I use ATF with dextron.

jdm90

Thanks for the info - I actually found some Merc. Trim fluid and topped it off - thanks for the help.
David