Trailer paint protection!!!

RedAllison

Check this out:

http://shop.keelshield.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12

Looks like just what the doctor ordered for protecting the paint on our trailers!!! :beer:

I've gotta touch up my trailer in a few spots and then I think I'm gonna put some of this on the tongue and front section of my trailer. Isn't an arm and a leg so even if it only lasts a couple years before yellowing it'll beat having a paint job that looks like it took a blast from a 12ga.

:gone fishing
RA

Crazyoz

Banned
Looks cool but I think I am going to have mine Rhino lined in black. That stuff last forever and it is hard to tear it up.

RedAllison

You know me Ricky, it's gotta be RED N SHINY!!! :beer:

Gonna try a couple rolls, got in touch with a guy at the factory and he said they've had GREAT results with it used on trailers. :wink
RA

strip

It looks a little redneck but I built me a couple of mud flaps that are pinned to my reciever hitch that keeps rocks and mud away from my trailer and my boat. You can buy some like it for around $300.00. I built mine for about $25.00. I live on a gravel road so some kind of protection was a must for me.

Blue Gray in PA

Looks like the same stuff we used to cover decals on our ATV's so they'd last longer - comes in sheets and is pretty cheap at your local bike shop. There's some on the trailer I got from Iowa and it's holding up well.

I also took 24" X 24" flaps from a tractor trailer supply store, cut them in half and mounted half on each side of my pickup - works great at keeping stones down and the larger ones I put on the front protect the cab from chips too...

max200

mercman1234

I done mine with rhino line gray and splatter painted it with blue and white to match the boat.i got it done about 3 years now and still looks good.

ROBERT CROSS

BUMP...

Red, did you ever get the the stuff? How has it worked? Have some rust on the Boatmate and been looking for a way to protect it after touch-up.

We have used the Towtector while towing the Airstream with excellent results. Brought the GSE back from Ark without a mark.

FWIW...The Por-15 is what the AS crowd uses for frame restorations on their trailers, stuff lasts forever.

Attachments

Last edited:

fishnfireman

I have used the 3M chip guard on my last two boat mate trailers along with mudflaps on the truck. I put the chip guard on all the outside rails plus the cross members .I also put a bellypan made of lightweight aluminum under the trailer to keep rocks and road debries off the hull and off the cross members .............Even with that my trailer still looks like a piece of chit.