Trailer guys - how do you use your boats?

Lotus 50

I keep my SS2000 on a marine railway at the cottage. Typically I will put it in the water and do some quick runs or a circle of the lake (11 miles X 2.5 miles) and then pull it out. A couple of times a year I will do a long run in the adjacent lake. It's a big enough lake that I can easily run out of gas. Once a year we do a full day family boat trip, either in the SS2000 or the 'family' boat.

If you have to tow your boat to get it wet, what do you do with usually?

Lotus 50

Do you tow the boat to the lake, do a few fly byes, pull it out and go home? Is every trip a long ride? I can put the boat in the water, do a short run, pull it out, do lot of other stuff around the cottage, and repeat. I don't know what I'd do in a boat all day.

gmorgan

Do you tow the boat to the lake, do a few fly byes, pull it out and go home? Is every trip a long ride? I can put the boat in the water, do a short run, pull it out, do lot of other stuff around the cottage, and repeat. I don't know what I'd do in a boat all day.
My Allison is an xb2003, so I can ride some and fish some. If the fish arent biting, I end up riding more. At my age I dont usually stay out more than four hours. I go back to the lakehouse and put the boat on the lift and do whatever else sounds fun or interesting.

Last edited:

nort

Launch boat
Start boat
Drive boat
Park boat
Repeat as required until stress levels have decreased or until sufficient hipster D bags on paddle boards have flipped me off.
Most of my neighbours feel the same way about the hipster D bags so it’s kinda like public service when I take out all the sisters (named Allison).

Lotus 50

Nort is ahead of me as he lives on the waterfront.

I boat every day I am at the lake, weather permitting. But I don't have the paddle board problems. Neighbours have paddle boards and we just smile at each other.

RiverRat71

Launch boat
Start boat
Drive boat
Park boat
Drink a beer
Repeat as required until stress levels have decreased or until sufficient hipster D bags on paddle boards have flipped me off.

Nort, I modified your post slightly. RR

Last edited:

skewby

Launch around 11-12 sand bar and marina hop usually till dark then back on the trailer. Sometimes one of the marinas will have a good band so then its back to the trailer sometime after midnight. Thats about the routine every weekend

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just use mine like a boat. Might travel 10 minutes to the ramp or 8 hours. Depends. I may be fishing or cruising or skiing. Could just meet the guys at the sand bar. The main thing is I use it a lot. No closed season for boating here.

JWolff

Launch around 11-12 sand bar and marina hop usually till dark then back on the trailer. Sometimes one of the marinas will have a good band so then its back to the trailer sometime after midnight. Thats about the routine every weekend
That sounds awesome. We have the mighty Columbia run right through the middle of my town but the only development are some parks (that are not conducive to beaching a boat) and flood control dikes (that are unneeded because of the dams controlling water levels). Having multiple waterfront restaurants and meeting places would be fun.

As for the OP, mostly fish but also do some floating with the family and if I can ever get my motor completely fixed, pull the kids on the tube.

dubmoney

I live near near the confluence of two major rivers, the Columbia and the Willamette. After work trips usually consist of trailering 10 min, running up to which every sandbar may have the most interesting people. I may fish a little, have and adult beverage, or maybe even BBQ on the beach. I love to destroy the jetskis that think they have the fastest thing on the water.
Weekend trips can be up to 6 hour drive to fishing destination. Might be a tournament or pre-fishing for one. Our western Allison Rally on Shasta Lake or Sacramento delta is a super fun trip.

dubmoney

Those Jetskies might get out a little on me for the first 200 ft, but then the fun starts and you just reel them in and blow their door off!

RiverRat71

There are quite a few 80+ mph pwc around. The new Seadoo 300's will def push 80 with just a reflash & most boats don't stand a chance on hole shot. 10 years ago it was hard to get one to run 80+, now not so much. I think the current top end record on a pwc is in the 120's. Comparing pwc & boats is apples & oranges though. RR

Last edited:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just hook it up and drag it wherever I want and either ride, fish, or the occasional ski ride. I've had this boat in WA, OR, CA, OH, TN, SC, GA, FL. Tows pretty easy

Lotus 50

The most fun I had with a PWC was when I passed one with 4 people in my SS2000 and my old 150 XR4. When I stopped and the PWC guy caught up he saw the 150 sticker on the motor and asked how it was possible.

Normally what happens is the big offshore boats blow by me.

Lotus 50

Our lake is often offshore water. The big blown cats run way past 100 in water I can only manage 50

PWC don't run so fast in the rough either.