The new toy puller.

RedAllison

My oldest son has laid claim to my beloved Avalanche & after 2 years of fighting with & cussin the white 07 Expedition EL (was pretty much TRASHED when I "received it" after the wife & kids had destroyed it during its first 3yrs of life) I decided to forgo letting momma have the new vehicles every chance & I got one for myself! :big grin

2013 GMC Sierra SLE. 5.3 w/heavy tow pkg & cooling, limited slip + traction control, remote start yadda yadda. This is the first 2x4 pickup I've EVER owned but honestly, having that 2x4 Exped showed me how much I DIDNT need a 4x4. (I have an old 4x4 at the farm & that's the only place I ever use one anymore) this thing rides like a Cadillac & gets over 20mpg on the highway so WTH. :beer:

The new puller sittin next to one of my corn plots yesterday.

Attachments

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
God-Made Chevy!

Mine's an 07 6 liter with 135,000 miles on it and still runs like new. Doesn't burn oil (well..1/2 quart in 5500 miles) and gets 17mpg hwy 14 when pulling boat.

David Lanham

What Axel ratio does it have?

Have you pulled your rig with it yet? Wonder if it will tow your rig in OD?

4WD really seems to take up reserve power and torque on these trucks.

Congrats and nice ride indeed !!

RedAllison

Hey David! :beer:

It has 3.42 gears & 245/70/17 tires & wheels so that's pretty good gears for those "smaller" shoes. Being new I haven't put a trailer on it yet. Manual says wait til 500 miles, I think I saw 350+ on it lastnight so maybe I'll click 500 by the weekend & then I'll hooker up. I know at 85mph it's only turning 2100Rs. It has the 6spd auto with "Tow/Haul mode" plus the "Manual mode" that allows manual selection of gear. There is a transmission temp gauge selection in the dash readout so that will be interesting to see what load & conditions jive with what temps.

Yesterday I was messin on the tractor at the farm & decided to "clean" my boat ramp via dumping buckets full of water from the front end loader onto it. It's paved but very steep. (Gotta be careful, some trailers will drag at the top where it breaks over) So while it was still wet I decided to test this GMC. I backed it down the ramp all the way to the waterline. I did this 3xs & it only spun once @ then it only did so for a split second before the traction control stopped it. An empty pickup on that steep & wet of a ramp is a pretty good test! I was impressed. :wink

This 5.3 is rated at 315hp while the 5.3 in my old Avalanche is 275 if I remember right. Of course the Avie is 11yrs old, 140k on the clock, is a 4x4 & the Avie is heavier as well. But the new truck is quite a bit snappier by the seat of the pants. I really think the bottom end is considerably stronger on this newer motor. But the XB21 really ain't much of a load to begin with. The Avie has always easily hauled the 21 in OD at interstate speeds. The real test will come when I pull my deck boat with the new truck. THAT will tell the tale! :shock:

Attachments

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

I've got a trans temp gauge on mine too. What i've seen is that the trans gets MUCH hotter at idle with the transmission in P than it ever does while towing the boat.

K.Kiser

Id change the rear diff fluid @ 5k or so to get rid of the break-in filth and whatever assembly trash got in there, and it should be good from there on out... Change the trans fluid every 50k and it should be a solid truck for a long time... Lots of these gm trucks are going well over 300k with sensible usage and maintenance... I believe the iron 5.3's and that family of engines to be the very near if not the best engines GM has ever made..