Technical Oops in a Grandsport

JR

For unknown reasons, no matter what boat I buy, the battery hold downs always tear loose, along with seat bases, cooler trays, speakers, ect... I have resecured the ones in my Grandsport several times using larger and larger fasteners just like I had to in both my Hydrostreams.

I looked in the back again and found the battery tilted over, so I installed a larger screw that is also a 1/4" longer and I epoxied the hole in the foam before I screwed it in again. When I went to pull the drain plug I spot this little divot in the bottom gel coat...Rats.

I guess I need to install some sort of an inflatable air bag on top of the battery to press it into position before the battery one day visits me in the drivers seat. I also found where my anchor had cracked the floor to the compartment which needed to be epoxied.

I also spotted that the potmetal bracket that secures my SS trim pump is rusting out where I could not see it without diving head first into the rear hatch.

Everyone with the SS motors, be sure to check yours out with an inspection mirror.

I think the shock absorbers on my boat have gone bad since things seem to bounce so much....

JR

RB in NM

I'm with ys there bud! I too can't not keep them battery hold down screws to stay put.

Sounds like yer own yer way there,,, might oughta go ahead and drill the rest of the way thru the bottom and thru bolt the friggin thing down.! :roll:

We might need new shocks AND airbags...LOL !

RB

ziemer

For the life of me I can't figure out why you're having problems... :?: :?:

Oh yeah, now I remember :wink:

jimmyb

i had problems with my battery hold downs as well, until I went to rubber well nuts. So far, they have held up very well...

Yellowallison

use 5200 on all your screws and brackest and it solves everything vibarating loose and screws stripin out!

JR

Fasteners that don't fasten

Scott,
I have tried the 3M5200 the last couple of times and I have also injected West systems epoxy into the hole too. It's a shame that they did not embed a plate like they have under the seat bases, even though I pulled the plate through the passenger's side floorboard. The idea of "throughbolting" the battery tie downs might become necessary if I can't get the battery to "behave".

By the way, I learned how to do "intentional" bat turns from Kevin, so I know they are safe....

Maybe I just need to get the wheels balanced or a front end alignment...
JR

Yellowallison

JR.....

I use the the rex marine battery boxes in all my boats and 5200/screm them to the floors.... and side bolt them to a bulkhead with fender washers on the back...

If 5200 will hold a outboard motor on a boat with w/o any mounting bolts to the point I've had to rip off the first layer of GELCOAT to get the motor off.... it will hold battery boxes!

I fill all my screw holes with bondo glass with layer of mat mixed it.. and once it dries it rock solid then I redrill my screw holes......

HEY... What ya do with YUR Ole PM roatating assembly..Yu ready for that 500.00$$$$ Christmas time is coming and YUR gunna need cash to buy SUSAN some diamondzzz !!!!!!!!!

brotherxb03

I have battery hold downs like yellow allison posted and no problems. If you just have the straps,when they get loose the momentum is what tears them loose and wobles the screws out,especially when you drive like your in a go-cart.

JR

Battery tray

That is a great looking battery tray where it can be rear bolted through the bulkhead. That looks like it was designed for bat turns.

Scott,
The powerhead boxed up and at my shop [Thermodyne] just taking up space so just get with me. That will pay for the boost module I just put on my Honda turbo PWC or about 2 tanks of gas [smirk].
Just give me a call 904 716 4021 cell.
JR