Tach problem

wj225

Took the boat out yesterday for the first time this year. I made a couple of short runs and fished. Everything seemed to work fine. Headed down the late and decided to open it up a little. Had it running about 80 and looked down at the tach. It was bouncing from 3000rpm to 6000 rpm and then go to zero, then start bouncing all over the place. When I backed-down to around 40 mph, it registered 0 rpm. I checked connections at the tach and under the cowl. No problem found. On ocassion for the rest of the day it would bounce around, but for the most part it didn't work at all. It's a 2000 ProMAx with a 16 amp charging system. Any suggestions on how to check it out?

Thanks,
Bill

BigRedAlli

Bill,
A new rectifier fixed my 260 and my 200 that had the same problem as you described. Of course, check all conections also.
Hope this helps......Marty

Jimxb02

Same as above. Probably the rectifier but check all connections. I had to replace the rectifier on my ProMax and mod 200 that had the same symtoms.

Jim

J

John Richied

Froggy’s fix will work IF you have the two rectifiers the ProMax engines have, however since you went to the 16 amp system I don’t think you have that option?

Check your engine wiring harness too…the plugs in connections can come loose sometimes.

wj225

Rectifier

Guys,
I checked the rectifier on my outboard today. It appears to be the culprit as I don't get the correct ohm reading when checking the terminals. The rectifier is less than two years old and has got me wondering whether it is the right one for the 16 amp system. It has several printed numbers on it and they are as follows: MSC0345 and 816770. It also has a number cast into the plastic that reads: 62351. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct retifier for the 16 amp. charging system on a 260?

Bill

wj225

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the response!!! new rectifier coming up.

Bill