Surge brake issue

Ocktane

Hey gang. I was going to pull my boat out of the shop to let it air out and found that my right brake was locked down. Left side turning freely (jacked up both sides and checked). I know this issue has come up before And there are a few things I'm going to check but what do yall suggest I check. Pretty sure it's just standard hydraulic surge brakes (drums). Also, if there is a part I need to order how could I temporarily disable them for a short drive to a local lake?

whipper

Did you try the old stick a washer so the brake doesn't work trick? Pull the trailer forward then tape a washer behind the tab on the side. Then try it and see if shes free. could be just an adjustment? Mine would lock up going in reverse. it was a pinched wire. Grease the side rails and coupler might help. Does the slide go all the way forward? might try going in reverse then a quick pull {snap} forward? that might get the cylinder to free up also if its seized from maybe being parked on a down slope?

Last edited:

Ocktane

Hooked the trailer onto the truck, gave it a yank and everything freed up. Have to check it all out now I guess...

whipper

Hooked the trailer onto the truck, gave it a yank and everything freed up. Have to check it all out now I guess...
Good. ya just grease the moving stuff that engages or disengages the brakes. Its no sized because you got it to free up. Just the side rails and coupler. If it was on a down slope, brakes would have been on the whole time sitting for a bit outside was all it probably was. Really if your using a truck to tow, are boats are so light brakes are over kill anyway really. Most boats heavier than ours don't even come with brakes. I towed mine with a washer in for a couple years before behind a jeep with a straight 6 no problem. When i got the brakes working I never noticed a difference stopping with or without. i guess in a hard emergancy stop there would be a differance but never made any of those.:big grin

RedAllison

If you are towing any of the "lightweight" A-boats with a full size SUV/Pickup then you have a "little more" margin for error but for those towing ANY A-boat with a car, mid-size SUV/pickup etc... I'd recommend brakes for sure. For ANY bass fisherman towing a fully loaded "tournament rig" be it a XB02, 03 or CERTAINLY the XB21, then I'd heartily recommend brakes and that's REGARDLESS of what you are towing it with! 99% of the time you DON'T need brakes... but that 1% of the time will be a "OH CHIT, PANIC STOP" situation where anything short of a Peterbilt will need brakes to avert disaster!!! For those towing any of the XB21 series with anything smaller than a full size SUV/Truck, I'd even recommend the option of brakes on BOTH axles!

I remember years ago after having some problems with the brakes on my XB2003 (tandem axle) I always pulled it with my Avalanche so I thought, "To heck with repairing the brakes, I'll just disconnect the whole shebang and wont need it since I'm pulling with a nearly 6k pound truck with 4 disc brakes!" Sure enough, I was rolling 50-55mph down hill, headed thru a light on our rediculous "By Pass" here in Jackson when the light turned yellow and some moron decided to lock them up in front of me! I stabbed the brakes, the ABS started burping, farting and activating and the boat proceeded to PUSH the truck thru the intersection! Only by my "Mario Andretti like" abilities and reflexes was I able to thread a needle, get around the a-hole and safely get through the intersection with straight body panels and only an enraged temper for the violator that nearly caused the accident. :D (The Avalanche is on a Suburban platform and actually 500# heavier than a burb, had I been in my current crew cab pickup, I doubt it would've tracked straight. And now that I have the XB21 I wouldn't even want to think of what would've happened under that situation without brakes!!! :confused: )

Trailer brakes are kinda like a concealed weapon, nice to have and I'm always with them... but I hope to NEVER get in a situation where I have to actually call on either! :eek:

resqu-u

Ocktane, if you haven't torn into it yet I had the same problem a few years ago. I ended up replacing the drum assemblies on both sides for under 100.00 bucks. You likely have a drum slave going bad and it will totally fail. Luckly mine happened a close to home... Here's a link to the assemblies I used and they worked perfect. The whole job took a few hours and I had my piece of mind back. You can also upgrade to UFP disc system but that is around 400.00 dollars. If you have any questions let me know. http://www.easternmarine.com/review/product/list/id/3070/category/426/

GotMyAlly

I agree with Red! I fully believe the trailer brakes helped me get my rig straightened back out when I had my accident a few years ago. It started to get sideways at one point, sliding 70 mph down a grassy embankment. I think if it had not been for trailer brakes, the boat would have passed the truck and it would have only been a matter of time before a tire caught and over she woulda went.

Ocktane

Are they definitely the 10" x 2-1/4" assemblies? Just wanna make sure cause I see 12" as well