Super moon!

MWest77

We're heading out to Pickwick Sunday evening and night for the super moon . Ocktane will be there with us. Anyone else planning on going?:gone fishing

SmallJaw

We're heading out to Pickwick Sunday evening and night for the super moon . Ocktane will be there with us. Anyone else planning on going?:gone fishing
My super moon will have to take place a day early. Tomorrow night I'll be down there fishing a tournament. I'll reserve a special place for you to watch the super moon though!:wink:very happy

SmallJaw

Thanks buddy! How bout some tips on catching the big brown fish?
I can't say I'm really "on" the big girls yet. We are catching a good many 4's up to 5 lbs lately. I do think it wouldn't take but a couple of trips in consecutive days to eliminate the water and really dial in on them. If I had to have a 5+ smallmouth or else, I would honestly probably fish the bluffs between Big Bear Creek and JP Coleman State Park or go on down towards Pickwick Dam and hit the deep points down there. I'd throw a black/chartreuse 3/16" - 3/8" oz jig with a shaved #11 black/chartreuse pork chunk. I don't go heavier than 12 lb test down there due to the deep water. I only throw this jig color if there is about half a moon or more. Any given night though the big girls will trounce a 3/4" oz black/blue spinnerbait with a big #8 Colorado slow rolled down the points or out on a pea gravel flat in 10'-15' of water. A few weeks ago I caught 11 pretty good fish one night on the same spinnerbait color above but I had a #8 and a #4 Colorado blade instead of 1 blade. Vibrates like crazy and tangles up a lot on the line but was real effective. I toss spinnerbaits on a heavy rod and 30 lb braid. Ever since I lost moby dick 4 years ago on Pickwick due to a long cast and line that stretched a bit too much for a deep hookup, I've gone heavy on the spinnerbaits. BTW, I use an unshaved #11 only on my spinnerbait too. I'm a big believer in the pork trailers.:very happy

MWest77

I got me a few new spinners today. Gonna try them out tomorrow night. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures to post Monday!:gone fishing

SmallJaw

I got me a few new spinners today. Gonna try them out tomorrow night. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures to post Monday!:gone fishing
Let me know how you do. I had one 4 pounder tonight in a Wildcat Tourney but we were fishing for largemouth more than anything. The smallie came out of a tree top; flipping did the trick on her.

MWest77

We'll be putting in at the state park around 4:30 or so. Probably going to be three Allison's and a Venture running together tonight!

red2003

how did the supermoon turn out? got any gps cordinates you'd care to share on any areas from say JP coleman back towards Pickwick dam?

MWest77

That evening and night was probably our worst pickwick trip as far as fishing goes. I caught to little fish and my wife got skunked. I threw the whole tackle box in there that night.

SmallJaw

That evening and night was probably our worst pickwick trip as far as fishing goes. I caught to little fish and my wife got skunked. I threw the whole tackle box in there that night.
Dang. I hate to hear that you didn't catch anything. We've been catching a good many upriver around the Trace bridge all the way to the dam. Everywhere we have fished we have caught fish. Most of the smallmouth's are on the chunk rock banks or bluffs with slight slopes out to deep water. Largemouth's are in the hydrilla around 9'-10' of water along the river channel. Worms on small weights has been the ticket for us. Hair jigs for the smallmouths. With half a moon or more I always toss chartreuse on black unless I'm out of them!. Works for me.:gone fishing

MWest77

We spent as much time running as we did fishing. You know how it is sometimes! I caught a couple at least. None big enough to brag about. Always a good time anyways. Probably going back this Sunday for a bit.

red2003

MWEST77 do you have a blue and wite xb? I saw someone coming out of jp coleman a week or so back, I was in a red and black xb fishing a point near the cabins.

MWest77

[/IMG]
Here's mine. I usually stay between yellow creek and the dam. I saw a red and white 03 the other day and waved. They waved back. Don't know who it was. Me, ocktane, and Neal were running together that day.

MWest77

I know a guy named Craig Johnson with a blue and white XTB that fishes around jp Coleman. He can't get on the board because of his email service.

SmallJaw

I may have to give you guys a yell if I go down to JP Coleman in a couple of weeks. I've been wanting to spend some time down there for the heck of it and to enjoy the beauty of the place. Catching some brown fish would be bonus. I do know a few places between JP and Stateline Island but I want to fish closer to the dam. Never done much of that. I'm catching some fish up river and I may be crazy to leave these fish to go explore but thats just the way I'm wired up I reckon.:big grin