Storage Compartment lids

white03

On a Xb2003: has anybody ever removed and reinstalled the port and starboard, rear, storage compartment lids?

It looks like they are riveted in place which could make them difficult to remove and reinstalled.

Thank You

Bill

K

Kevin from FL

David Lanham replaced his carpet last year, maybe he has some insight on them.

froggy

White03,

You need to drill out the rivets (using the proper size bit so you do not enlarge the holes). Then, when you are finished with carpeting, or whatever, re-pop rivet the lid on. I seem to remember the rivet size as 3/16" diameter and 1/4" to 3/8" purchase. The exact rivets can be purchased from O'reilly Auto Parts.

This whole process is really easier than it sounds.

froggy

BigRedAlli

Just as froggy said.
I finished mine Sat. and it was fairly easy.

Don't forget the washers on the back of the rivits.

Can't wait till next week!!! :D :D :D

Marty.

fishnfireman

Go one better

I put new carpet in this past winter.

Like they said drill them out.
Mine had SS bolt's with nylock nuts on the ends and one in the miidle. The rest were rivits.

In MY opinion there is no place on a boat for a pop rivit.
Replace all of them with SS bolts.
Also when they start to get loose or the carpet compresses you can snug it all back down.

white03

MANY THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx guys for your responses.

I'm sick and tired of getting water into my storage compartments, even one little drop. If you look at the rear area of your 2003, (at least it is this way on mine), there are no drain holes. So if you get too much backwash over the deck or if you are fishing in the rain, then the water will accumulate around the lids faster then it can find a way out. Eventually this accumulation of water will find a way into the compartments.

So what I'm going to do is add drains to the rear area and to do that I need to get to the gutter under the outside edge of lid.

FFMan - great idea about the SS bolts and nylock nuts...that's exactly what I will do.

THANX AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Bill

RedAllison

Bill are you talking about the rear storage compartments or the bilge/fuel area? The fuel area isn't designed to stop water, there is not a lip molded under the lid to prevent water from going in. But the rear storage areas DO have that lip and unless the rubber seal is damaged or missing I doubt you are getting water in the boxes that way. The system is REALLY neat and water tight. More than likely the water you are geting in the box is coming in from around where the steering cables exit the hull. Those are notorious for seepage. There were posts about stopping that on the old board but I doubt they made it over here. It is harder to seal all that up because the cables move a little bit each time you steer.

Good luck and see ya next week,
RA

white03

Hey RA, good to hear from you.

I'm talking about the storage compartments seeping water...not the lid for the bildge/fuel area.

Using vaseline on top of the seal you speak of, and then closing the lid...I found out that the rubber seal was not hitting the lid in some places. After several attempts at different ways to fix this, I finally got some fiberglass bondo and built the lip higher (the lip the seal sits on top of). Now with the vaseline test I see a clear line around the lid where the seal hits it.

I have used Kev's method of sealing around the grommets that are used for the cable exits. It works fairly well, and it is not the source of the water coming into the storage area. I know this because I have put a bucket in the storage area and the bucket will have water in it. Obviously the water has to be dripping into the bucket becuase the boat would have to be under the water before the bucket would get water in it from the grommets. Therefore, I am still getting water in the storage box and it has to be coming in around the seal somehow.

So I have received from Bill at Allison 4 drains like are at rear corners of the front storage compartment. I am going to put one each in the gutter at the rear corner of each storage lid and one each below either side of the bildge lid. Then I'll attach hose to them and have them drain to the bildge area.

No doubt the drains are probably overkill (but if the drains are so unnecessary, ask yourself why Allison put 2 drains on either side of the front storage lid when it has the same seal???).

I appreciate your suggestion, I really do...but have you ever started something, and after numerous attempts to fix it, gotten to the point where you were going to fix it or else!!!***###!!!... Well that's where I am now, I'm gonna fix it!!!

Bill

fishnfireman

git er done

Bill,

I feel your pain !!!!
After 15 years of tournament fishing out of most every kind of boat there is. I'm convinced there is NO SUCH THING as a waterproof compartment. Let me take that back: if you do have one spot on the 2003 that wont get wet after fishing "all day" in the rain, it's the side pocket next to the drivers elbow.
We do a lot of what I call, controlled drifting -over some huge main lake grass beds. We drift with the wind and use the troll mtr to make adjustments. when the wind gets up, the guy on the back will get wet feet from the waves rolling up on the carpet. EVERYTHING in the back gets wet and the bilge will kick on often.
Another reason NOT to get a heavy mtr on the 2002 or 2003-- and yes I have the floatation in the J-plate.

froggy

Bill,

I get water in my starboard, rear, storage compartment. I believe my water (just a few drops) comes in around the steering cables. In order to keep stuff dry, I put little boat fenders on the floor and then my stuff is elevated above the water drops. I am going to install large plastic boxes in each of the rear storage compartments and then everything should stay dry.

Perhaps you might try installing new, sealing type, trim on the compartment lids lip. You can get the trim from Bill at Allison and it's easy to install.

froggy

brotherxb03

Thats exactly where the water is coming in from,when I put my hydralic steering in I didn't have mine sealed good enough and the gromets go under from the backwash and needs to be water tight. I got caught in a bad ass rain storm this evening while fishing and my compartment stayed dry.