SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

Discussion in 'Setup' started by aeneas, Jul 27, 2014.

1. pkstv

pkstv Active Member

I'm sure it will , how many rpms ? Well that remains to be seen buddy ! Nice ! Hope it works great for you ! This maybe your ticket to that century mark !

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    aeneas likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Active Member Supporting Member

I'm going to say it won't. 96 tops with that prop! :)

aeneas likes this.
  3. aeneas

aeneas Active Member Supporting Member

If the new propeller was a 31p I would be quite sure it would turn it considering the way it turns the 30p, but the 32p..? The reason for asking is that the 30p I drove in 2016 maybe more like 29,5 in reality considering the very low slip numbers I get. Let us for argument sake say that the 30p is 29,5 and the 32 is 32,5... Then I would be 3" up - a tall order!
    The people that measure pitch, have they measured Mazco propellers? Are they accurate in pitch? (I have not searched the board for information regarding this).
    If I can't turn it, what do I do? How high can I raise the engine and still drive it safely? Or do I have it worked? Should I sell it? Other good propellers to try? Drag 3 31p?

For the time being I will have to rely on the torque of the 200xs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

At least I get up on plane easily with the 30p. (A friend driving).

I really like the Mazco because it is fast and it feels like the boat is on a string.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  4. Jon

Jon Active Member Supporting Member

I'm interested to see what it will actually do. Give it a shot as-is and let us know.

5. pkstv

pkstv Active Member

Just remember the higher you go the greater the risk of blowing the prop out ! Faster Yes ! More dangerous ,Yes ! If you do raise it do it an 1/8 inch at a time . It will effect the handling of the boat too . Be careful buddy ! They can work the prop down some too . I'm not sure raising the limiter will help . It needs to stay in it's tourque range at max hp . You can run it to many rpms and loose the hp you need ! Good luck !

aeneas and Jon like this.
  6. pkstv

pkstv Active Member

Any updates yet ? It's summertime ! Time to run . Let us know what's going on with your quest to the century mark !

7. aeneas

The summer has been very windy and I have only been out three times, no top speed runs yet.
    At about half fuel tank the boat is in perfect balance - feels very light and fast and is amazing fun to drive! 100 is still the goal!
    The Mazco RE3 32p has been 'cleaned up' so it is ready to go. I will try it next time. More to come!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. ROBERT CROSS

ROBERT CROSS Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nils,

I feel your pain....here on the East end of Lake Erie we've only made it to the Niagara River 4
    times.....:(
    [​IMG]

Hard to learn anything with the GS on the parking pad.;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. pkstv

pkstv Active Member

It's been a lot of rain here in Ky too , lots of bad water with driftwood in it so we have been cautious with short runs . I'm at 96 mph and hit a wall . She just won't go any faster with my motor and prop set up ! Time to change something soon ! Prop , motor height or loose some weight or just think about a new hull and motor !

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    aeneas likes this.
  10. ROBERT CROSS

Nils,

Question.....what temps are you seeing?
    At Idle & with stats open....

I was having water pressure issues....7-10 psi at Idle on the hose.
    Got it down to 3.2psi at idle with stronger poppet spring, but still running cold...85-100* Poppet discharge port is clear.
    All other pressures good. (smartcraft gauge)

Thermostats not opening running on the hose, removed & tested, both opening 140-145*, the water getting past the thermostat relief is barely warm.
    Water streaming 10ft out the air compressor line.

Will be out tomorrow for more testing.

Bob

11. aeneas

I will have to get back to you on this (have only been out 5 times this season and I don't remember). I have noticed that the pressure at idle is low (below 10) and that it increases drastically when running. I don't look at the pressure gauge when on the hose but I check the water discharge and it is about 10ft and coolish. I think this is how these engines run.

12. ROBERT CROSS

Thanks Nils.....I have inquiries out all over the place....I'm love'n the motor, but I can't get it above 100*F, thermostats not even opening at Idle.