Sportmaster mods ??

JOEALLY

I've done a good bit of reading on this site & others about this. But I'm having trouble finding pics of mods done by owner.

Besides sending a sporty to Titus, what do people to do mod the sporty for an Allison? Just cut the skeg?

Any pics or links for how to?

This is premature because I haven't ran this 225X/SM yet, but just wondering if my skeg should stay stock because I'm running so high above pad with the modified lip????

The coned 200 case on my 200xs handled excellent at same heights.

Myron

try it stock first and see how it works, there have been a lot of stock sportmasters run big numbers, and drive good

DragAlly02

Take your hand an run over the the sides see if it had any slight difference 9/10 times it will just a casting issue when people refer to massage iteans sand it down completely smooth ( you will be able to feel the slight dimples) just massage it out ,
Mike

GotMyAlly

I didn't cut the skeg back on my 225X, but did grind on the port side of the torque tab so that it isn't dragging such a big hunk of metal wedge through the water. And re-shaped the nose.

The main reason I didn't cut the skeg back to a 200 profile is because, on a fishing boat, had I ever knocked it on something, I wanted extra meat there to grind out any imperfections in the leading edge.

xb03

The main reason I didn't cut the skeg back to a 200 profile is because, on a fishing boat, had I ever knocked it on something, I wanted extra meat there to grind out any imperfections in the leading edge.
This is something good to keep in mind, extra meat never hurt anyone. :wink

suicidealli

I have worked plenty of sporty's, and other cases too. There is more to it than just blunting the nose, if you want it to really run.
2 different ideas, a sporty, and a 200 case. Both can run great
Call me
513-207-2131

Roy

Last edited:

ziemer

Blunting the nose and massaging the torque tab is about all I would do. I don't think the gains with a cut skeg, especially shortened are significant enough to make it worth while. :cool

BigCountryx

I cut my skeg, only because I had too. I hit something and took a chunk out. With Jay's coaching, I loped of the leading edge, ground it down to the stock profile and flattened the bottom edge. My security blanket is gone now. Hope it lives for a while before that underwater stump takes another jab at it. I also took a little meat off the rear edge.

FlatOutAlly

... extra meat never hurt anyone.
Agree with Ziemer...

No tongue in cheek comment here, but I like a full skeg. Had a cut/mod/welded skeg. Ran real good. Never showed any sign of physical fatigue but snapped at a really bad time. If you need every tenth or even two mph, go for it. In my mind on a 90 mph boat, I'll give up a couple on the top for a longer longevity, skeg and body, every day.

JMO, but a full skeg and tuned setup for handling is the way to go.

Last edited:

catfish123

That's a very good picture showing how they can crack. It starts at the rear edge of the skeg and works its way forward. Usually, if you keep a real close eye on it, you can catch it before it lets go.