Smartcraft gages

Lotus 50

When I upgraded to a 200XS ROS, I kept the old gages. It was fine for a couple of weeks, but then my speedometer stopped reading over 50.

The smart (ICAN) gages on our Evinrude are great - multi function digital readouts in the bottom of analog speedometer and tachometer dials. I can see time of day, hours on motor, engine temperature, lake temperature, lots of things. And audible warnings when things start to go wrong. I like audible as I'm not scanning my gages all the time.

The same basic thing exists in Smartcraft for Merc. My goal was to convert the speedometer only, or maybe the speedometer and tach. But the black face speedometer only comes 0-80 and 0-120. I'd like 0-100. 90 should be achievable without going crazy with engine height and trim.

I can get 0-100 in whiteface or grayface. Neither will look cool with my black small gages - water temp, water pressure, and fuel level. For that matter the instrument panel is black and I would prefer blackface gages.

I am considering the black 0-80 speedometer and hope the digital read out reads to 90. I wonder how I could confirm that. Normally to go fast I raise the trim until the mph stops going up and then call it good, or trim down/slow down, raise the engine, and repeat. Would I get in trouble just using rpm to know when enough is enough?