Smartcraft and integration with Lowrance and Nmea

twsykes

Hi Guys, I am wanting to change my smartcraft gauge and also integrate that gauge (like Tim Powell posted) that shows top speed RPMS etc on one screen but I also want tat data on my Lowarnce graphs (or as much as possible. Has anyone done this and if so is this all I need?

New Mercury Eco MercMonitor NMEA 2000 LEVEL 1 - Part# 79-8M0100793 SS 8M0079864

I just figured you guys have been there on this. I have a 2012 250 Sport XS. My goal here is to see peak speed and Rpms and any engine data I can. I would also consider just getting it on the graphs and iPhone if possible. Just not sure what you guys are doing with this.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

I have the eco monitor in my boat. I have it tied into my humminbird to pull satellite info (speed, time, etc.) but I'm not pushing any data to the humminbirds. The nmea leads were already included with the ecomonitor. I just had to buy the appropriate adapter from humminbird and splice it in.

Merc has a new vesselview mobile app and module that will stream the data to your cell phone via bluetooth. I've been interested in that since I first saw it.

twsykes

I have the eco monitor in my boat. I have it tied into my humminbird to pull satellite info (speed, time, etc.) but I'm not pushing any data to the humminbirds. The nmea leads were already included with the ecomonitor. I just had to buy the appropriate adapter from humminbird and splice it in.

Merc has a new vesselview mobile app and module that will stream the data to your cell phone via bluetooth. I've been interested in that since I first saw it.
Hmmm. Interesting so I have merc monitor as well bit not the one that shows peak speed. Does that mean that the engine data is already there and all I need to do plug into the back of the gauge with nmea. I guess I need to check the gauge to see if the connector is there

scj

The Mercury interface nema adaptor that hooks to the smartcraft junction block is what you need.

twsykes

so here is the gauges I have: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9cdpxf0ixjavhw/optimax smartcraft.jpg?dl=0. I think these are the old ones campared to what Tim has...
What I want is the Merc monitor gauges that have the peak speed but I want to integrate them into lowrance graphs as well... Any help would be appreciated. My assumption is that I need the gauge kit and the Mercury engine interface cable. Anyone done this exactly.

twsykes

Gotcha SCJ. I wonder if the older gauges have that? I would assume so

scj

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/mercmonitor/
https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/mercurymarine/ccgc0nwmc9/8M0071193_SC_Gateway-0113_LR.pdf?u=orhjei

They still sell the gauge that you have and you can connect it to your nema network using the interface module.

Your smartcraft gauge should have a junction block between it and the engine wiring harness. This junction block is what the nema module connects to. The smartcraft gauge packages connects back to this junction block as well.

Last edited:

Tim Powell

You currently have the System Monitor...it does not export data.

If you want the gauge that I have, you need a Level 1 Merc Monitor. The Level 1 has a NMEA interface so the only thing extra you would need is a NMEA network between your Lowrance units and the MM. You don't need to buy the extra gateway that Steve posted above as the gateway is built into the MM.

My boat didn't have a NMEA network so I installed a starter kit to tie my front and back units together, a Point 1 (mainly for the heading sensor), and instead of individual Tee's I used the Simrad 4-way block to make the install cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MSDA12

twsykes

Hi Guys, So I got the gauge we talked about above and I have a few questions before I do the installation:
Here is the image and the questions that I marked up and a few questions about the installation etc.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/q36k0nv6fzwjqa0/MERCURY GAUGE.png?dl=0

1. Where does the Air temp sensor go?
  2. Does the 2012 have all the sensors needed already to maximize this gauge abilities ie.... Trim, fuel, temp, speed
  3. If NMEA power is used the gauge wire says to remove the fuse and I see the logic because it is powered already but does that mean that the 2 power source wires also on the harness are not needed as well (I am assuming they will be needed and the gauge will not be powered by NMEA connector)
  4. I am also assuming that anything that the gauge can display will also now show on the Lawrence units as long as they are networked? Correct?
  5. Is there any installation instructions anywhere? I have the gauge instructions but no installation instructions so that Is why I am asking here.
  6. Any other tips about this gauge or tricks that I should know?

Thanks guys!

Tim Powell

1. Where does the Air temp sensor go? You can mount it under the dash out of direct sunlight or you can mount it in your livewell and use it to read water temp.
  2. Does the 2012 have all the sensors needed already to maximize this gauge abilities ie.... Trim, fuel, temp, speed It will need a digital trim sender, you can tell by looking at your trim sender...2 wires = Analog and 3 wires = Digital. Fuel, engine temp, etc will come from the engine, it will display what the ECU sees. You will want the speed to come from your Lowrance GPS so it will be GPS speed. The sportmaster doesn't have a pitot hole so it will not read speed via pitot sensor....pitot sensor isn't accurate anyway. There is a smartcraft fuel and oil harness that is needed to tie into the fuel tank and oil tank sending unit (if applicable)
  3. If NMEA power is used the gauge wire says to remove the fuse and I see the logic because it is powered already but does that mean that the 2 power source wires also on the harness are not needed as well (I am assuming they will be needed and the gauge will not be powered by NMEA connector) You will power the NMEA network with a power node from lowrance. You will not need to power the NMEA network from the MM...remove fuse as it says. I can't remember but I believe the MM requires 12v for itself to operate....refer to manual for that instruction.
  4. I am also assuming that anything that the gauge can display will also now show on the Lawrence units as long as they are networked? Correct? It will show everything that the gauge will share over the network. Each "level" offers more data export. A typical bass boat is fine with the Level 1. I never look at my info on the lowrance, just the MM.
  5. Is there any installation instructions anywhere? I have the gauge instructions but no installation instructions so that Is why I am asking here. The supplied manual should cover installation. The installation is simple and straight forward. There should be a SC junction box under the dash, mine is mounted to the wooden shelf/brace that is under the dash. You will plug the SC connector into the JB.
  6. Any other tips about this gauge or tricks that I should know? Its pretty straight forward. Installs in minutes. You will have to do some programming but its minimal, easy, and in the manual.