Side steer 2003 to center steer

Morespeed4me

Has anybody just installed a side slide seat on an side steer XB2003 to make it center steer? If so is it hard to drive in the center steer position? Is the steering wheel to far to the right and does it feel really uncomfortable to drive? Looking at a side steer and would want to covert it to center steer!

Thanls
Paul

racerx

Dont bother,,its a easy boat to drive on the side,center steer wont make it any faster,,my opinon would be a waste of time...

Kruton

Its not a big deal to move the steering wheel. Mine was originally center steer and had it moved to side steer.

suicidealli

if you do make it a center steer, make sure to measure another boat...... the 2000 ss isn't really in the center..... still a little to the right...... if it is in the center it is to far to the left... not sure on the bass boats, but check first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roy

RedAllison

If I were to have another ProSport I'd get it rigged "slide steer" (like Kruton's pics above) from the factory, it's kinda in the middle between a side steer and a center steer. I'd never want to give up the 2 seater "up front" position but when wanting to haul ace for beach racin or tournament fishin in nice weather I'd move things center and letter eat!

Especially with hydro steering, the couple inches off center either way the wheel is with a "slide steer" is more a mental block too those who've never driven one. Once you drive it a time or two it becomes second nature and you won't think twice about it.

Alot of guys with side steer have made their own homemade slide steer by unbolting the forward/back sliding seat bracket and turning it sideways to slide left/right. Then move the wheel like Kruton did and WHALLA instant slide steer. You give up the front/back adjustibility comfort but since it's your boat and you'll be driving it 99% of the time you wont move it back and forth that much anyway. Set the bracket for your preference and be done with it.

:at the bar
RA

ps
GOOD PICS Kruton, I'm gonna sticky this post for future "side/slide steer" references!

Last edited:

suicidealli

my seat will move to the center, but the steering is just a little off from center... for the 2 seats up fornt.. is the comp or comp-r a 4 seat ?????? i would deffinately have that a real center steer... if the boat is capable of 2 seats up front dont put the steering in the exact center.... it is to far to reach when 2 people are up front.
the position of the battery can make the boat fly straight where ever you like to sit...

Morespeed4me

Thanks for the replies
I'm an ALLISON OWNER ONCE again. You know Kevin told me at the 05 Rally that I would regret selling it. It didn't take long, THERE IS NO OTHER BOAT LIKE AN ALLISON, once you have one, no other boat will do. I bought Shannon's ProSport listed here on the Allison site, and just got home with it. It is tucked away in the garage. Boat is in great shape! Thanks Shannon, you seems like a great guy, I know how it feels to see your boat going down the road, rest asured I will take good care of it. If you ever get another one like you said you hope to do someday, make sure you make the Allison Rally, a great bunch of guys with lots and lots of knowledge about these boats!! My other 2003 Prosport had the side slide and like RedAllison said, I always liked to move things to the center when flying solo. So I was just looking to add the side slide but I will try it this way for awhile first.
Paul

msethsmile

Funny Guy
My xb03 is side steer and the seat is either center or side. i don't have any problems reaching over when the seat is in center.

KLOONEY2003

I have a 2003 drives great stays on the pad with lil effort is still side steer,I GO ABOUT 220 I DID MOVE CRANKING BATTERY TO THE PORT SIDE TO EQUALIZE SOME WEIGHT,HAD THOUGHT OF SETTING UP TO CENTER STEER ,DECIDED TO MOVE SOME WEGHT AROUND FIRST ,

Attachments

Fishforcash

Put the helm between the speedo and tach hole. Its right on your left shoulder for side by side running and slide the side slide over and it centers the wheel on you for go fast runnin.

wj225

My XB03 was originally side-steer. I added the side-slide plate from Allison but left the steering wheel alone. With two up front, the driver seat is all the way to the right and the steering wheel directly in front of you (95% of my boating). When flying solo, I slide the seat almost to the center and the steering wheel lines-up with your right shoulder and the boat balances perfectly. It takes a time or two to get accustomed to the offset, but it is not bad and I prefer to have the steering in front of me for the majority of my boating.

whipper

I side steered my GSE XS2003. I turned the forward back seat stand sideways and positioned it so i can slide centered or Starboard. It made carrying passangers better for weight adjustments. I can slide the seat over or back depending wear i need it for passangers. I was able to ditch 40lbs of counter weight. The only down fall to this not being able to go forward and back. Make sure you position the seat in a general good driveing position and thats no biggy I find. My wife can even drive were it is and shes 5,3 im 6ft. Of coarse the one from Darris that slides sideways and forward and back would be best. I just wanted to try it and I love it.

local103racing

Ok so I’m replacing my carpet in my xb2003 and putting in a slide side setup my question is how to locate the existing holes for the passenger seat and what about the old holes from the existing drivers seat? After the carpet is down?

hirk

My guess is leave the passenger seat in the same location so just put pins in the holes so you dont lose them under the carpet and then put the slide base down while attached to your seat where you want it and use as a template to drill, dont over think things.