Sharpies on soft plastics

JWolff

I have some charteuse boot tail swim baits that i was thinking of adding a few vertical black stripes to look more perch. Do you think the ink smell will be a deterrent?

Attachments

Jon

Supporting Member
Thats tough to say, because even when it dries, it probably still smells some. No telling what the water would do to it. Then again, some of the stuff I use doesn't smell great to begin with (plastic smell). I'd say, give it a shot, and let us know.

GotMyAlly

They make a garlic/shad/crawfish scented pen just for that. Not sure if it's available in black, but I'm pretty sure you can get it in other dark colors like blue or purple.

JWolff

Talked to a walleye guy today who is the salesman at the local sporting goods store and he said he uses all colors of sharpies for his baits and knows tons of others that also use them with no ill effects.

Reactions: Jon

Allyfishing

I wouldn't think it would matter either. I was a marshall at the elite tourny at cayuga a few years ago and the pro used a dark green sharpie on his braid a few times as it started to loose its color right on down to the creature bait he was using to pitch in 12' weed holes. Didn't seem to bother the 4 LB LM's he was catching.

But if it were me I would go out and buy the scented markers made just for lures to add to my baits.