Set up?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I decided to take my sub woofer out from under the front deck. It was under the front deck lid pushed up against the pedestal seat pole. The box plus 10 inch woofer plus amp weighed about 40 pounds. I am gonna make a fiberglas box to put the 10 in and move the amp to the back compartment. Anyway, wonder if anyone could take a guess on how much difference this will make on performance? I know when I take the troller off the front it's like night and day. So, moving 40 pounds out of the front should make a difference too I would think. My best speed so far is 86.3 gps. Thats with the no troller. The speaker box, amp under the front deck. All three batteries, between full and 3/4 of a tank of gas. Cooler full of drinks and ice. 2 spare props and some other misc. bullchit scattered around the compartments. Stock 1991 200 merc, 14 inches of set back 1/16 below the pad and a 26 ET, Ally cut sporty.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

You know....i took my trolling motor off at the allison rally this year and really couldn't tell much difference. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

I do like the removeable mount though to free up deck space.

catfish123

That's funny Neal because I have taken my trolling motor off several times and I too never saw any real difference. My best speeds have been with the trolling motor on. I know it doesn't make sense but I just never gained anything when taking it off.

GotMyAlly

All my props hit the rev limiter anyway. If I put a really big wheel on like a 32", I wonder if taking the TM off would make the difference between hitting the limiter or not? Or if I had no limiter, maybe I could pull a few more RPMs without the TM? But as-is, it doesn't seem to make any difference in speed or handling.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
It makes lots of difference on mine. Boat is lighter and it needs very little trim to lift and run. Plus, I aint got no limiter.

BigRedAlli

It makes lots of difference on mine. Boat is lighter and it needs very little trim to lift and run. Plus, I aint got no limiter.
I agree!!!
First and only time I took mine off, went down to our river (some call it a creek:laughing) and didn't think I was going to get slowed down in time to make the first 90 deg. turn...:shock: I was all over the down trim button...:laughing definitely handled different...

catfish123

My guess would be 1 - 1.5 mph more........maybe. Possibly my trolling motor is lighter to start with. My boat did feel different without it on, just no recordable speed gains.

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
All right i put the theory to the test. I took everything out of the boat. One Battery in front of the gas tank port side, no troller, 1/4 tank of gas. Thats really all besides ballast which was a cooler half full of water (where the cooler goes) and a 35 pound lead zinc in the port gunnel. I left the motor trimmed to the postion I ran my fastest speed at so, I could check it when I put it on the trailer. Let me tell you one thing I won't be doing any full throttle chops to check plugs. I started slowing down with out trimming down and boy let me tell you what. Had I tried that before I really had a pretty good handle on driving it. I would have spun it around in the river. It gets really, really lose in the *** end. Anyhow back to to the top speed thing. I could only get it to 83 (gps). I have run 83 GPS with a full tank Troller and everything I own in it. So, my conclusion is "I don't know chit!" It was way more reponsive and lots quicker to get there. O when I got the boat pulled out I looked at the propshaft related to the pad and I was definately a little on the positive side. I left it where it was after my fastest top end run. I had gotton to the point I were I was scared to hit the trim again for fear of spinning around. I have never hooked one so, I dont know the limit. But, everytime I bumped the trim up it picked up speed. Like I said though. I was scared to bump up again. So, like I said before. I know notta!

catfish123

Just continue to be careful no matter what else you are trying. I did hook mine at 92mph and it's not something I look forward to again............LOL

Blue Gray in PA

Haven't hooked one yet but also not looking forward to it. Not surprised you got out faster with less weight or that it handled different - think pickup truck with a bed full or gravel or empty. Same principles with boats but the waves you cross really show you how much different the boat feels - it will ride up and jump over rather than plow through. The back end being light is a scary feeling too and when you chop the throttle off, the change in attitude gets your attention in a hurry. Just be safe and wear your shut-off lanyard and flotation device when testing like that.