Seat bracket

baitcaster

I don't know if this helps anyone, but most already know that recently I was ejected from my 03. I wanted to post a warning about the older slide seat bracket. If you have one with a plastic handle on it, I would recommend replacing it. Mine riped away which resulted in me being flung out of the boat.

I don't know if this is what this forum is about, but had I known that the product was this weak and their was a better replacement mod. I would have replaced it and it prob. would have saved me a lot of grief.

FLYING BUTCHER

not sure what "plastic" you are talking about BUT glad to hear you had the kill switch hooked up. No matter how good of a driver anyone thinks they are things can happen so fast you just can't react fast enough and get in trouble. Again good to hear you are allright other than a need to change undershorts!!! Not fun for sure. Have fun be safe

baitcaster

not sure what "plastic" you are talking about BUT glad to hear you had the kill switch hooked up. No matter how good of a driver anyone thinks they are things can happen so fast you just can't react fast enough and get in trouble. Again good to hear you are allright other than a need to change undershorts!!! Not fun for sure. Have fun be safe
The slide has a handle on the front that allows you to adjust or slide the seat. If it is plastic, I would recommend changing it. The newer one is all aluminium.

Thanks for the positive thoughts and comments, I really appreciate it. I have a few issues since the accident, but hopefully noting that time won't cure.

AND, how true! I didn't have the chance to think, OH SH@! before I was taking the negative ride of my life :very sad.

FlatOutAlly

I've never been thrown from my boat, but I hit the port gunwale a ton once. No fun. Sorry to hear about you're getting wet, baitcaster.

Just curious, but what makes the slides with the plastic handle more hazardous? The only plastic part on mine is the end of the handle that you grab. The parts that engage between the upper and lower parts are aluminum. It this the good one or the 'old' one?

Cp

baitcaster

I've never been thrown from my boat, but I hit the port gunwale a ton once. No fun. Sorry to hear about you're getting wet, baitcaster.

Just curious, but what makes the slides with the plastic handle more hazardous? The only plastic part on mine is the end of the handle that you grab. The parts that engage between the upper and lower parts are aluminum. It this the good one or the 'old' one?

Cp
The aluminium is very (way, way to thin) thin on that seat holder/slide and on mine it riped away when the boat went into the hook. The seat folded to the port side and acted as a shoot. At that point their was nothing holding me in and the rip occurred so quickly it pulled me away from the wheel breaking the grip I had on it. In my humble opinion, the slide is crap and dangerous. The Allison Buckets are great seats and do an excellent job in holding you in place, but if the slide rails brake away from the bolts holding it, you simply don't have a chance to stay in the boat. The new ones are much, much beefier. I really would hate for anyone to learn this the hard way :help, as I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't the plastic on the slide that's the problem, it is just an identifier as to what slide I am referring to. Allison has since abandoned that holder (thank GOD) and went with a different, stronger mod. The new ones are not cheap, ran me about 130.00 + shipping I think - but I would have gladly payed it before hand had I known what I do now :banghead. I don't mean to sound preachy or anything else for that matter, just felt everyone should be aware.

Good luck and take care!

I can take some pics. if that will help anyone????

citabriatom

If that seat bracket is the same as on my GS,I would really appreciate seeing some pics.
Glad you're doing OK,and thanks for the heads up(you may save someone a lot of pain OR worse!)

bassracr

The aluminium is very (way, way to thin) thin on that seat holder/slide and on mine it riped away when the boat went into the hook. The seat folded to the port side and acted as a shoot. At that point their was nothing holding me in and the rip occurred so quickly it pulled me away from the wheel breaking the grip I had on it. In my humble opinion, the slide is crap and dangerous. The Allison Buckets are great seats and do an excellent job in holding you in place, but if the slide rails brake away from the bolts holding it, you simply don't have a chance to stay in the boat. The new ones are much, much beefier. I really would hate for anyone to learn this the hard way :help, as I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't the plastic on the slide that's the problem, it is just an identifier as to what slide I am referring to. Allison has since abandoned that holder (thank GOD) and went with a different, stronger mod. The new ones are not cheap, ran me about 130.00 + shipping I think - but I would have gladly payed it before hand had I known what I do now :banghead. I don't mean to sound preachy or anything else for that matter, just felt everyone should be aware.

Good luck and take care!

I can take some pics. if that will help anyone????
i agree they are very thin,mine became torn around the bolt holes,and i cut 2 steel strips to go over the bracket and ran the bolts through to distribute the load across the bracket. it seems to be very solid and much stronger

baitcaster

Good IDEA! Beef them up or consider getting rid of them. I am somewhat surprised that Allison didn't recall them, but I guess that I pushed the slide to it's limits when I went into my hook.

I won't mention any names, but when I called Allison to order a new seat mount and advised them of what happened. One of the very first thing said is "you must have had one of the older ones with the plastic handle?" :shock:

So, I suspect this is not a new problem, but it is rectifiable. They can be beefed up as noted above or a newer mod. purchased.

Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited:

catfish123

First of all, thank you very much for posting your experiences with the seat bracket. I think you have done us all a great service in posting it. Don't these types of seat brackets also raise you up some so you're not quite as far down in the boat??? Thanks, Bob

baitcaster

First of all, thank you very much for posting your experiences with the seat bracket. I think you have done us all a great service in posting it. Don't these types of seat brackets also raise you up some so you're not quite as far down in the boat??? Thanks, Bob
Thank You and You Are Welcome. Yes they do. The older seat bracket is a little higher than the new one. So you may want to beef up the old one if you want the added height or you could cut out a 1/4 inch flat plate of aluminum (or something like it) and add it under a new one. In the latter it will still put you a little lower than the old, but not by much and you can play with stacking some strips. Anyway it is a thought, where there is a will there is a way! :very happy

baitcaster

Mine looked a little different?????????? Mine was a front to back mod. It is difficult to tell, but that one looks different. Unfortunately, I ended up throwing mine in the trash when I began ripping everything out, but the one you showed appears thicker than the one I had in the boat and has a slightly different slide ??????.